Outdoor dining

Outdoor dining on streets is key to vibrant, active streetscapes and is supported by Inner West Council.

Restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs, small bars, breweries, and other food and drink businesses can apply to Council for the use of footpaths, and in some cases, kerbside parking spaces for outdoor dining purposes.

How to apply 

Complete the Outdoor dining and footpath trading license application (PDF 202.4KB) and submit it to Council through our online self-service portal using the Apply button below.

Ensure “Footpath trading – general inquiry” is selected from the drop down menu. You will be able to upload your completed application form, site plan and other relevant attachments here.


Temporary use of kerbside parking spaces for outdoor dining

To support businesses at this time, Council has developed Interim outdoor dining guidelines (PDF 336.7KB) for outdoor dining areas on streets, both on the footpath and temporarily within kerbside parking spaces. Situations where kerbside road space can be temporarily utilised for outdoor dining are identified in these guidelines.

Please utilise the existing footpath trading form to submit an application for the use of kerbside road space. The requirements for submission are listed in the interim guidelines. Information required in the guidelines such as a site plan, or evidence of coordination with a neighbouring food and drink businesses, can be submitted as attachments in the online self-service portal.

Liquor licence boundary changes associated with outdoor dining

If your premises has a liquor licence, you will need to temporarily change the boundaries on your licence in order to serve alcohol in an outdoor dining area.

Please submit the Liquor Licence application: temporary change of boundaries form (PDF 682.4KB) with your outdoor dining application and Council will refer this to Liquor and Gaming.

Live entertainment for outdoor dining

To help shine a light on the vibrant, creative and ever-evolving shopping, dining and entertainment life that is the Inner West, businesses can apply to host live entertainment as per the Outdoor dining and live performance initiative.

Council are offering a one off contribution of $500 to host an activity or $2,000 for joint applications over multiple nights.

Suggested activities could include:

  • performance based (music, poetry, theatre)
  • workshops
  • cooking demonstration
  • talks
  • interactive experiences
  • anything in between!

Conditions apply as per EOI guidelines. 


Relevant links and forms

Interim outdoor dining guidelines (PDF 336.7KB)
Outdoor dining and footpath trading license application (PDF 202.4KB)
Temporary liquor licence change of boundary form (PDF 682.4KB)
Online self-service portal  (use “Footpath trading – general inquiry” for all outdoor dining applications and inquiries)

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful100.00% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful0% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 26 Oct 2021