Development advisory services
We offer a number of advisory services if you are thinking of carrying out any development including:
- demolition of a building
- additions or renovations to your home or commercial premises
- change of use of a building
- a large development such as townhouses or apartment/commercial construction.
General planning enquiries
As a first step, you can call one of our planning advisory officers at your closest Customer Service Centre.
The planning advisory officer can help by explaining:
- the basic planning controls and policies that affect your property
- whether your proposal is likely to require formal approval or can be done without consent
- the controls applying to your property (for example, whether your property is heritage-listed) and the process for applying for approval to carry out the work.
For advice on a specific proposal or in response to plans, we recommend you submit the pre-DA application form (PDF 104.3KB). There are no minimum documentation requirements. However, the more information you give us, the more informed and helpful our response will be. Ideally, you should provide some sketch drawings and photos.
The planning advisory officers will:
- advise you about specific controls applying to your property (for example, whether you can add a second storey)
- work with you to identify any issues with your proposal so that they may be resolved and subsequently a development application may be better supported
- provide written correspondence in response to the proposal outlining the advice including any recommendations.
Pre-DA applications are not compulsory. However, seeking advice prior to a formal application, can help identify and resolve issues, and allow a formal application to be processed more efficiently.
Please note that Council will only accept amendments to a development application that will not disrupt the process of the application. If the changes required are substantial, then you may be requested to withdraw your application or it may be refused. It is therefore recommended that you seek pre-development application advice prior to seeking formal approval.
Some pre-DA applications also include meetings which are by appointment only and are usually held at Council's Leichhardt Service Centre (7-15 Wetherill Street, Leichhardt) during business hours. Once you lodge your request, Council will advise of the date and time the meeting. Meetings will normally take approximately 45 minutes. Further information and follow-up meetings may be recommended for proposals which require further consideration of complex issues or substantial redesign.
To request pre-development application advice, please use the form below:
The cost of the service is based on the nature and complexity of the proposal, and whether multiple officers from Council, such as heritage and engineering officers, are likely to be involved.