Feedback and complaints

Inner West Council aims to deliver quality customer service and to communicate effectively with our community.

We realise that sometimes, despite our best efforts, people may not be happy with the way we have performed a service.

We value your feedback – both good and bad.

Lodge feedback/complaints

Alternatively you can:

  • Call our contact centre during business hours on 02 9392 5000
  • Write to us at Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham NSW 2049

Our complaints handling policy (PDF 333.1KB) helps to provide information that can be used to deliver quality improvements in our services, staff and complaint handling; as well as ensuring that we respond to customer complaints in a timely and cost-effective way. We aim to respond to complaints within 10 days wherever possible.

3 tiers of complaint handling

Our 3 tiered approach aims to respond to complaints appropriately and efficiently subject to their seriousness.

Tier 1: Front-line complaints handling at the source of the service

Subject to seriousness, our aim is to resolve complaints at the front-line service level, by either one of our customer service officers or a staff member associated with delivery of the service.

Depending on the nature and seriousness of the complaint, tier 1 resolution may take place at any of the following levels:

  1. Front-line customer service officer
  2. Person responsible for providing the service
  3. Immediate supervisor of the person providing the service
  4. Manager of the function
  5. Responsible Director
  6. General Manager

A staff member may decide to escalate the complaint to a more senior officer within this hierarchy for review or assessment of the complaint at any point in time.

Tier 2: Internal review

Where a complaint is unable to be resolved or the customer remains unsatisfied with Council's response following tier 1, the customer may choose to refer the matter to Council's Internal Ombudsman for internal review.

Find out more about the Council's Internal Ombudsman service here.

Tier 3: External review

Where a person making a complaint is dissatisfied with the outcome of Council's review of their complaint, they may seek an external review of our decision by a relevant body such as the NSW Ombudsman or the Independent Commission Against Corruption.

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful19.70% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful80.30% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 03 Jun 2022