Rates are levied by councils on homes and businesses. They provide income for essential services and infrastructure. Rates are exempt from the Goods and Services Tax (GST). Rates can be paid either in full or quarterly.
Paying in full, your rates are due by 31 August each year.
Paying in quarterly instalments, rates are due:
- 1st instalment: 31 August
- 2nd instalment: 30 November
- 3rd instalment: 28 February
- 4th instalment: 31 May
If you have a general enquiry about rates, you can submit it online using Council's customer request management system.
Rates general enquiry
How are your rates spent?
Every $100 collected is distributed as follow across a range of services.
- Operations - $38.15
Roads, footpaths, parks and gardens maintenance, and fleet
- Capital Works - $12.25
- Library and Historical Services - $10.60
- Community Services and Culture - $7.48
- Planning - $6.31
- Children and Family Services - $5.78
- Environment and Sustainability - $5.75
- Sports & Recreation - $5.73
- Engineering Services - $1.91
- Regulatory Services - $1.82
- Community Events $1.27
- Traffic & Transport Planning $1.18
- Resource Recovery $1.07
- Economic Development $0.71
Valuer General's Newsletter
Valuer General's Newsletter July 2020 (PDF 100.6KB)