Our collection includes books, large print, picture books, graphic novels, magazines, newspapers, talking books, CDs, DVDs, ebooks, audiobooks and elibrary online resources.
We hold one of Sydney’s best graphic novel collections for juniors, young adults and adults – from Marvel, DC Comics, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Boom! Studios, the ever popular Shonen Jump Manga and many more.
Our toy collection is suitable for babies to children 6 years. We have ride-ons, play kitchen, tea sets, building blocks, dress-ups, puzzles, sensory toys, instruments and more. The toy library collection is located at our Balmain, Haberfield and Leichhardt Libraries.
- Toys can be reserved from the library catalogue (under Highlights), pickup and return at any of our library branches.
Community language collection
Our permanent community language collection is available at the following branches:
- Ashfield Library - Chinese, Gujarati and Nepalese
- Haberfield and Leichhardt Library - Italian
- Marrickville Library and Pavilion - Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Portuguese, Spanish and Vietnamese
A selection of magazines, newspapers, CDs, DVDs and e-books are available in these languages. We also hold a large ESL collection for people learning English as a second language. Don't see your language? We can order it from the State Library of NSW. Request it below.
Art book collection
Marrickville Library and Pavilion holds an impressive and historic art book collection. From Aboriginal Australian art to the Impressionists’ style and beyond – it’s truly worth a visit to the art collection.
Have you always wanted to fix that classic car? Leichhardt Library holds an extensive collection of car manuals for Holden, Ford, Toyota and more.
What should you read next? Head to Balmain Library for a curated collection of award-winning and highly regarded titles.
Request an item
Members can make a suggestion and request for items not in our collection.
Suggestion for purchase
- We cannot estimate delivery times as they vary greatly
- All suggestions are considered and will be fulfilled if in adherence to the library collection development policy
- If an item is not listed in our online catalogue, it may be available for loan from another library in Australia, through an inter-library loan request.
- Delivery times are dependent on availability from other libraries.
It may take up to three weeks or longer if access to the titles are
State Library of NSW community language loan
- We can request books in languages other than English from the State Library of NSW. Over 40 languages are available including, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Macedonian, Nepalese, Persian, Portuguese, Punjabi, Serbian, Sinhalese, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu Vietnamese and more.
- You may request up to 20 items at a time
- $45 fee if an item is lost or damaged
- In accordance with Council's Information Handling Policy, any personal information provided on this form will be used by the library service only for purposes directly related to your membership, including notifying you of functions and activities. You acknowledge that Inner West Council Library and History will not disclose your personal information to third parties, except to a service provider for the sole purpose of performing an activity on behalf of the library service; and that Inner West Council Library and History will use all reasonable efforts to ensure that the recipient handles your personal information in accordance with appropriate privacy principles. Your prior consent will be sought for any other proposed disclosure
- Information concerning the item requested may be forwarded to other libraries in order to fulfil your request
- A charge will be levied against your library membership if an inter-library loan is required, and must be paid on your next visit to the library
- You will be contacted when the item is ready for you to borrow
- Any cost as a result of delay in the return of the item, damage or loss, must be paid by you, as determined by the library that supplied your loan request
Important: Temporary suspension of Inter-library loans
Due to the various closures of other organisations this service has been suspended until further notice.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
For more information about Council's Coronavirus response plan, please go to Council's website www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au
Continue to item request form