Inner West Council has two buses available for either hire or use by community groups. We also have a community bus loop to assist people around the Leichhardt/Balmain area.
21 seater bus
A transport service (21 seat bus) for community groups to enjoy day trips and outings at a subsidised rate.
- Mitsubishi Rosa
- Can seat up to 21 passengers
- Is only available for hire with a driver (Wet Hire)
- Provides an accessibility ramp onto the vehicle
Applications are assessed and prioritized against the following criteria:
- The group is non-profit and non-government (with the exception of Inner West Council operations).
- The group is based in the municipality and/or its members predominantly live in the municipality.
- The group is transport disadvantaged i.e.; cannot meet the costs of a commercial rate.
- The group meets the needs of aged, people with a disbility, children, young people or disadvantaged residents.
Fees and Charges
The minimum hire period is 3 hours. A 25% surcharge applies to all non-Inner West based community groups.
Starting time: Hiring time starts from the Balmain Depot (where a daily 30 minute bus safety check is undertaken prior to the bus trip).
Finishing time: Hiring time finishes when the bus returns to the Balmain Depot.
In addition to the hourly rate, user groups will be charged an additional fee to cover fuel costs. This fee is based on the below sliding scale of kilometres travelled.
Conditions of Hire
Read the 21 Seater Bus Conditions of Hire (PDF 316.7KB)
Enquiries and further information
For enquiries please call 9392 5000 or email Rebecca.Blyth@innerwest.nsw.gov.au
19 seater bus
A bus hire service for up to 19 people free of charge to local, non-profit community groups who service the frail aged and/or people with a disability. Bus users must provide their own driver with an LR license or higher and pay for their own diesel.
The bus is picked up and returned after use to the Balmain Depot in Llewellyn Street Balmain.
- Can seat 18 people plus the driver (if the wheelchair hoist is not needed)
- Can seat 14 people, 2 people in wheelchairs plus the driver (if wheelchair hoist is needed)
- The primary target groups for use of the Community Bus are frail-aged persons and people with a disability who reside in the Inner West local government area.
- Any other group requesting the Community Bus must be a local, non-profit community organisation serving the residents of the Inner West local government area (ie. schools, churches).
- Groups which do not fall into category 1 or 2 above should contact Customer Service on 9392 5000 and request to speak with the Venues Supervisor in regard to the nature of their request.
- Ring Customer Service on 9392 5000 to ascertain if the bus is available on the preferred date at least two weeks in advance.
- The hirer should complete the Community Bus Booking Application Form (PDF 227.3KB)
The hirer and driver must read the Community Bus Procedure and also read, sign and application and return form with a copy of the driver’s license to:
In person at: Inner West Council –
Ashfield Customer Service Centre, 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield Petersham Service Centre, 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham
Leichhardt Customer Service Centre, 7-15 Wetherill St, Leichhardt
By mail to: Inner West Council, 12-14 Fisher Street, Petersham 2049
Confirmation of the requested booking will be made in writing to the hirer.
Council may require a $500 deposit for new hirers of the bus. If the bus is returned undamaged and in good working order Council will refund the $500 deposit usually within 30 days of the bus being returned to Council.
However, if the bus is damaged while in the care of the hirer the $500 may be forfeited towards payment of Council’s $1,000 insurance excess charge.
If the wheelchair spaces are required, 4 bus seats can be removed to allow for two passengers in wheelchairs. If the wheelchair spaces are not required, then all seats will remain. Bus users should advise of their specific requirements.
Conditions of hire
Please read the 19 Seater Bus Conditions of Hire here
Inner West Customer Service Centre on 02 9392 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Leichhardt Local Link
The Leichhardt Local Link is a free community bus to help people to access local services such as Leichhardt Park Aquatic Centre, doctors and health services, transport, community facilities, shopping precincts and high streets.
The bus runs between 8.30am and 2.45pm on Mondays and Thursdays.
How to catch the bus
To travel on the Leichhardt Local Link, you simply need to hail the driver at one of the designated stops that will be signposted and marked on the footpath as a Leichhardt Local Link stop with the bus image on the right.
Key stops and timetable
|1. Leichhardt Market Place A
|2. Leichhardt Town Hall A
|6. Hunter Baillie Church
|7. Booth & Johnston Sts
|14. LPAC A
|22. Rozelle Public School
|28. Balmain Woolworths A
|30. Balmain Hospital
|37. Laggan Ave
|39. Balmain Woolworths B
|40. Balmain Town Hall/ Library
|23. Hannaford Centre Rozelle
|49. LPAC B
|53. Hawthorne Light Rail
|55. Leichhardt Market Place B
|56. Leichhardt Town Hall B
|57. Hay St Car Park Centrelink (on demand)
Download a full-size PDF copy of the route map (PDF 2.4MB)
Leichhardt Marrickville Community Transport
Leichhardt Marrickville Community Transport Group (LMCTG) services both the Leichhardt and Marrickville areas. Find out more about the Leichhardt Marrickville Community Transport Group here