The Arts grants stream provides funding for local individual artists, groups of artists or arts organisations for projects that deliver the production and presentation of new creative work, professional arts and skills development, opportunities for audiences to engage with arts and cultural participation, strengthened capacity and sustainability for Inner West’s creative industries, and those that benefit the local community by contributing to local identity, belonging and pride.
The Arts grant round is closed.
Funding for Arts grants is available under two grant categories, please note only one Arts grant application will be accepted from Applicants.
Category one: Creative development grants of up to $5,000 each
For practicing emerging and established individual artists based in the Inner West.
For professional skills development to advance the artistic practice. Support is available across a range of disciplines.
Category two: Arts project grants of up to $10,000 each
For arts organisations, individual artists or group of artists.
For the production and presentation of new work, creative partnerships and significant multi-artform projects that benefit the Inner West community.
A list of successful applicants and their projects for earlier rounds, can be found on the Successful Arts and Culture Grants page.
Council's arts grants program aims to:
- Promote a vibrant street life, support local business and encourage visitors to the Inner West
- Increased community connection through art in the public domain, for the community to participate in arts and culture
- Encourage creative excellence and innovation in the content and delivery of arts projects and programs
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of arts industries.
The following criteria will be considered in the process of assessing applications:
- Impact and quality of the project and contribution to Council’s Community Strategic Plan and grants objectives
- Enhance community connection to art in the public domain and provide social and creative benefits to the community
- Excellence and innovation in arts and creative practice, engagement, and the delivery of arts projects
- Applicant’s capacity to deliver a well‐planned project including relevant applicant experience and supporting material, skills and time
- Realistic budget, including all sources of project income and quotes where relevant.
Stream specific eligibility
- Individual artists who are successful may need to supply proof of identity.
Brief eligibility criteria
Inner West Council provides grants for projects that have not yet commenced, and in limited cases people who have not yet acquitted a previous grant may be eligible to apply again. In addition:
- Council does fund Parents and Citizen organisations but does not fund projects for schools.
- Council only provides support for capital projects in the Environment grant stream, and Council does not provide support for interstate or overseas travel.
- Council does not fund political parties or their activities.
Applicants are encouraged to speak with a Council officer on (02) 9335 2249 (Monday - Thursday) before applying. One-on-one support is available to provide grant applicants with advice on your project ideas.
Council uses SmartyGrants administration software to manage its grants program. Applications must be submitted via the Inner West Council SmartyGrants webpage. Applications must meet the eligibility requirements and no late applications will be accepted. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
The Arts grant round is closed.
Arts project grants – Apply online here
Creative development grants – Apply online here
For Art grant enquiries please contact (02) 9335 2249 (Monday to Thursday).