Rates rebates for eligible pensioners
Eligible pensioners are entitled to mandatory rate rebate each year on their residential property of up to $250.00. For those pensioners who have owned and resided in the Inner West LGA for 10 years or more may be entitled to an additional voluntary rebate on their Domestic Waste Management and stormwater charges.
You may be an eligible pensioner for the rebate if:
- You are liable (either solely or jointly) for the rates on the property
- The property is your sole or principal residence
- You hold a current pensioner concession card issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veteran's Affairs.
- You have completed and signed a Pensioner Concession Application Form and lodged it with Council.
New pensioners after 1 July will receive a rebate proportionate to the number of full quarters remaining in the rating year after the day when the person becomes an eligible pensioner (Local Government Act 1993, Section 575). This is illustrated in the table below:
|Date of pension being granted
||Rebate within rating year
|Before 1 July of rating year
|Before 1 October
|Before 1 January
|Before 1 April
|Between 1 April and 30 June
When a person ceases to be an eligible pensioner, dies or sells the property, a proportion of the rebate granted for the year is written back as payable. This applies in the same manner as a granted rebate: the write back will equal the number of full quarters remaining in the year.
To obtain a discount
You can apply for a pensioner discount using Council's online request management system.
Apply for a pensioner discount
Alternatively, you can print and complete the following paper-based form:
and lodge one of the following ways:
In person at:
- Ashfield Service Centre, 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield
Leichhardt Service Centre, 7-15 Wetherill Street, Leichhardt
- Petersham Service Centre, 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham
By mail to:
Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham, NSW 2049
By email to:
You will need to provide your certified copies of your current rates notice (if available) and your Pensioner Concession Card.
To be eligible, the details on the concession card must match the property owner on the rates notice.