Rates rebates for eligible pensioners
Eligible pensioners are entitled to receive a concession on rates and charges of up to $250.00 on residential properties with approval being subject to legislative requirements. The rebate amount granted will be proportionate to the percentage of ownership and to the date from which the applicant became eligible. Pensioners who have owned and resided in the Inner West LGA for 10 years or more may be entitled to an additional voluntary rebate on their Domestic Waste Management and stormwater charges and should contact Council to assess eligibility.
- The applicant must be the listed on the Certificate of Title as the owner of the property
- The applicant must reside at the property as their sole or principal place of residence.
- The applicant must be the holder of a current pensioner concession card issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veteran's Affairs.
- The applicant has submitted a signed Pensioner Concession Rate form to Council.
New pensioners after 1 July will receive a rebate proportionate to the number of full quarters remaining in the rating year after the day when the person becomes an eligible pensioner (Local Government Act 1993, Section 575). This is illustrated in the table below:
|Date of pension being granted
||Rebate within rating year
|Before 1 July of rating year
|Before 1 October
|Before 1 January
|Before 1 April
|Between 1 April and 30 June
When a person ceases to be an eligible pensioner or sells the property, a proportion of the rebate granted for the year is written back as payable. This applies in the same manner as a granted rebate: the write back will equal the number of full quarters remaining in the year.
Applying for a pensioner rebate
Complete the pension concession rates form below, and submit the completed form using Council's online request management system:
Submit your completed pensioner concession rates form online
You can also submit a completed form in one of the following ways:
In person at:
- Ashfield Service Centre, 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield
Leichhardt Service Centre, 7-15 Wetherill Street, Leichhardt
- Petersham Service Centre, 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham
By mail to:
Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham, NSW 2049
By email to:
You will need to provide your Pensioner Concession Card.
To be eligible, the details on the concession card must match the property owner on the rates notice.