Dividing Fences

The Dividing Fences Act 1991 applies where a landowner wants an adjoining owner to contribute to the costs of constructing, replacing, repairing or maintaining a dividing fence. It covers issues such as cost-sharing, location and the standard of dividing fences and sets out procedures for carrying out the work and resolving disputes.

It does not apply to public authorities such as those with control over Crown land, public parks, reserves and roads. Although not liable under the Act to contribute to fencing costs, they may contribute to the cost of replacement.

Inner West Council does not contribute towards fencing where residential property adjoins open space or parkland unless there are extenuating reasons for an exemption, for example public safety or community benefit. 

For inquiries please contact:

Property, Major Building Projects and Facilities 
Helen Langford, Property & Assets Manager

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful6.25% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful93.75% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 18 Mar 2019