New employment zones came into effect on 26 April 2023 in NSW. For more details on these reforms visit the Department of Planning and Environment website.
Any reference to a former zone in a development control plan and/or other planning documents is legally taken to be a reference to these new employment zones.
The Marrickville Development Control Plan (DCP) 2011 came into force on 15 December 2011, soon after the gazettal of the Marrickville Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2011.
The Marrickville DCP 2011 incorporates twelve amendments:
- Amendment No. 1, a 'housekeeping' amendment including a number of items, came into force on 11 December 2013.
- Amendment No. 3, which relates to revised masterplan controls for the former Marrickville Hospital site, came into force on 2 March 2015.
- Amendment No. 2, a further 'housekeeping' amendment including a number of items, came into force on 14 December 2015.
- Amendment No. 4, which relates to land at 141-161 New Canterbury Road, Lewisham came into force on 5 February 2016.
- Amendment No. 7, which relates to amendments to Part 2.22 – Flood Management, to incorporate an updated Flood Planning Area Map and an updated Flood Liable Land Map, came into force on 6 July 2018.
- Amendment No. 8, which relates to amendments to the planning controls in Part 9.6 Petersham South (Precinct 9.6) for the properties 287-309 Trafalgar Street, 16-20 Fisher Street, 3-7 Regent Street and 13-17 Regent Street, Petersham came into force on 27 July 2018.
- Amendment No. 5, which relates to amendments to the heritage controls contained in MDCP 2011, specifically to Part 5 Commercial and Mixed Use Development, Part 8 Heritage and Part 9 Strategic Context of the DCP, came into force on 19 September 2018.
- Amendment No. 10, which relates to an amendment to Part 9.47 Victoria Road Precinct of MDCP 2011, to replace the Strategic Context controls for the precinct with new planning controls for the precinct, came into force on 26 September 2018.
- Amendment No. 11, a housekeeping amendment relating to waste management, flood and stormwater management, car parking controls and administrative and legislative updates, came into force on 1 August 2019.
- Amendment No. 12, which relates to the replacement of controls in Part 2.20 Tree Management with Inner West LGA wide tree management controls, came into force on 20 March 2020.
- Amendment No. 13, which relates to the replacement of the consultation and notification requirements in Part 1 – Statutory Information with a link to Council’s Community Engagement Framework, came into force on 3 July 2020.
- Amendment No. 14, which relates to inclusion of Part 9.48 in the MDCP 2011. This part relates to 67 and 73 – 83 Mary Street, 43 Roberts Street and 50-52 Edith Street, St Peters also known as Precinct 75 and is also part of the Unwins Bridge Road -Precinct 31, came into force on 24 November 2020.
- Amendment No. 15, which relates to a housekeeping amendment to ensure consistency with Inner West Local Environmental Plan 2022, which came into effect on 9 September 2022.
- Amendment No. 16, which relates to the to the replacement of controls in Part 2.20 Tree Management with Inner West LGA wide tree management controls, came into force on 1 April 2023.
The DCP is in ten parts, addressing:
- Development Application Guidelines
- Statutory Information
- Generic Provisions (relating to landscaping, car parking, fencing etc.)
- Subdivision, Amalgamation and Movement Networks
- Residential Development
- Commercial and Mixed Use Development
- Industrial Development
- Miscellaneous Development
- Strategic Context
Those parts contain controls which must be considered in the planning and design of any new development, from alterations and additions to a dwelling house, to new industrial buildings or shop top housing in town centres.
This DCP supplements and supports the Inner West Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2022. It outlines planning and design guidelines for particular types of development that require Council approval.
The DCP consists of the following sections and chapters:
- Part 2 – Generic Provisions
- Part 4 – Residential Development
- Part 7 – Miscellaneous Development
- Part 9 – Strategic Context
* These sections will be completed at a later stage.