Our Energy Future
Inner West Council is part of the Our Energy Future program, to help residents reduce their energy bills, improve comfort levels and improve their environmental footprint.
Through Our Energy Future, Council has engaged the Australian Energy Foundation to provide residents and businesses with access to up-to-date and impartial energy efficiency and renewable energy advice.
You can also call the Australian Energy Foundation experts for advice on rooftop solar PV, bills, quotes, which technology to choose—anything energy related!
"I would definitely recommend Our Energy Future to others.
It was good to have that independent body helping you make decisions
because it's overwhelming. Otherwise, you don't know where to start!"
Danielle, Inner West resident
Rooftop Solar PV
If you want to know more about how solar works, visit the Solar Information page. The experts at the Australian Energy Foundation have conducted a rigorous procurement process in order to find a supplier and installer to recommend.
You can sign up online to receive an obligation-free quote or call the Australian Energy Foundation team on 1300 23 68 55 to further discuss whether or not solar might be right for you.
Is solar power worthwhile for your home?
Listen to this two part podcast, covering all the basics you need to know.
Part one covers:
- The components of a solar energy system … what they are and how they work
- How to work out how big a system you’ll need
- The difference between panels, including key tips to assess their power and potential, and what to know about your roof space and power use overall to inform what you choose
- Batteries – when going off grid is worthwhile, and surprises you may not be aware of when it comes to choosing a battery system, and that you may not be as ‘off-grid’ as you think
Part two covers:
- How to position the panels
- What to consider when designing from scratch to make your roof work for solar
- What to do if your budget is tight and you can only afford a small system
- How to find a reputable installer and the questions to ask them New technologies such as solar tiles
Installing solar PV - Frequently asked questions
Q. I want to install solar on my roof. How do I start?
A. Call the Australian Energy Foundation on 1300 23 68 55 to find out if you’re able to put solar PV on your roof. Their specialists will help guide you through the process and answer any questions you have.
Q. There are so many solar suppliers - which one should I use?
A. Suppliers that have been vetted through a trusted source. The Australian Energy Foundation’s suppliers are secured through a rigorous selection process - they have found trusted suppliers so you don’t have to.
The procurement process provides due diligence on product quality, warranty length, cost and customer service. In addition, the solar system components are independently assessed by the Alternative Technology Association (ATA) to ensure they meet high standards.
The suppliers are chosen based on:
- Quality of product
Length of warranties
- Financial sustainability
- Shared company values
Q. Do I need a DA (development application) to install solar PV?
A. In most situations, no.
In general, household rooftop solar panel installations do not require development consent if certain requirements are met. Some of these requirements include reducing their visual impact, especially on properties with heritage value (e.g. heritage items, period dwellings, or in heritage conservation areas) and limiting impact on neighbours. If you are unable to meet these requirements you may need to obtain formal consent.
If clarification is needed, you can call Inner West Council's Duty Planners on 9392 5000 to check.
It is also important to ensure that the chosen location for panels is not likely to be overshadowed by future development on neighbouring properties.
Other Energy Services
Our Energy Future also provides via:
- Australian Energy Foundation website
- Energy helpline—1300 23 68 55
- Referral pathways to different energy efficiency and renewable energy products
- Information sessions
- Home energy assessments
About Our Energy Future
Our Energy Future is an initiative of councils in the South Sydney Region of Councils. It is the first project in the Southern Sydney Renewable Energy Master Plan. The ultimate goal of the Renewable Energy Master Plan is to significantly increase the amount of renewable energy produced in southern Sydney.