Support services

Seniors Directory

Our seniors directory listing contacts and resources for seniors is currently being updated as at Feb 2024.

Help to live independently as we age

The My Aged Care website has been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system.

The Gateway is part of the Australian Government's changes to the aged care system which have been designed to give people more choice, more control and easier access to a full range of aged care services.

If you or someone you know would like help to remain independently at home, My Aged Care is the starting point for entry to the aged care system. My Aged Care aims to help older people remain in their own home by providing access to support services.

Services to support independence at home and in the community can include help with day to day tasks around the house,  transport, shopping, allied health services, respite care, social groups and support, meals, residential care options.

To find out about services available and to for a referral to any services  contact My Aged Care or call 1800 200 422 or speak to your GP. 

Need help navigating? You might be eligible for the Care Finder program


For services previously delivered by Council, from July 2020 these services are provided by City of Sydney Meals on Wheels, Australian Unity and Uniting. These include: Meals on Wheels, Individual Social Support, Home Maintenance and Modifications, and Gardening and Handy Person Services

For information about the social groups previously being provided at Tom Foster Community Centre, please contact the organisations directly:

For other multicultural support groups in the area and referrals contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.


To get the support you need contact the Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737.

Support includes counselling, connecting with others via support groups or joining on line , coaching, education and referrals

Grandparent advisers provide extra support for non-parent carers, including grandparents, foster carers and kinship carers who have taken on parental responsibilities for children

They can help you by :

  • providing tailored information about payments and support services based on your family circumstances
  • arranging appointments for grandparent carers and non-parent carers with specialist staff, including social workers
  • arranging referrals to federal, state and community service providers, and 
  • helping with any other Medicare, Centrelink or Child Support enquiries

For more information about assistance available for grandparents, and non-parent carers, go to:

To speak to a Grandparent Adviser, call Free call 1800 245 965

Older persons aged care advocacy and representative groups

An advocate helps people to achieve the best outcome for them with their aged care services. They do this by listening to your concerns, giving you information about your rights and responsibilities, and supporting you to understand your options and make decisions. Advocates will speak up on your behalf to service providers if you want them to, and only in a way that represents your expressed wishes. Advocates act confidentially and will always seek your permission before taking action:

Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN): State and territory member organisations offer free advocacy support and information to older people seeking or using aged care services. Phone: 1800 700 600. Mon to Fri: 8am-8pm, Sat: 10am-4pm. Visit:

Disability Advocacy Network Australia (DANA): National representative body for independent Australian community-based organisations that advocate for and with people with disability. Phone: (02) 6175 1300. Email: Visit:

Dementia Australia (DA): Advocate for people impacted by dementia as well as families and carers; also supports dementia research. Phone: 1800 100 500. Visit:

Talk to an organisation who represents your aged care interests. Representative groups or organisations represent older people on aged care issues. These organisations work with older people to ensure you are part of the conversation to the Australia Government and providers about aged care reform and ageing well. 

Carers Australia: National peak body representing unpaid carers. Phone: (02) 6122 9900. Email: Visit:

National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO): National peak body representing Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing issues. Phone: (02) 6246 9300. Visit:

Federation of Ethnic Communities Councils Australia (FECCA): National peak body representing Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Phone: (02) 6282 5755. Email: Visit:

LGBTIQ+ Health Australia: National peak health organisation, provides LGBTQI+ health-related programs, services and research. Phone: (02) 7209 63010. Email: Visit:

Consumers Health Forum of Australia (CHF): Advocate on consumer health care issues. Phone: (02) 6273 5444. Email: Visit:

For more information visit:

Sydney Inner West Stroke Club

A place for Stroke survivors and their networks to connect, get social and inform.

1st Tuesday of the month 10.30am – 12.30pm
Five Dock RSL, Great North Road, Five Dock

For further details, contact the Stroke Recovery Association NSW 1300 650 594


Healthdirect provides free, trusted health information and advice, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's an emergency — what do I do? Call 1800 022 222 and speak to a nurse about your health concerns. If you think you need an ambulance or your injury or illness is critical or life threatening, call triple zero (000) for an ambulance immediately.

Can I get health advice online?
Yes, use healthdirect's online Symptom Checker. It will guide you through a set of easy questions to help you understand your symptoms and provide advice on what to do — whether you should see a local GP, manage the condition at home, or go to an emergency department.

Where's my nearest health service?
The healthdirect service finder gives you quick and easy access to Australia's most comprehensive directory of health services and providers. Search results are based on location, allowing you to find the closest doctor, pharmacy, physio, etc.

Where can I get reliable health information online?
The healthdirect website provides trusted online information about a huge range of health issues, including conditions, symptoms, treatments, the health service and more.



Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful37.50% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful62.50% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 27 Feb 2024