New Marrickville Library and Pavilion
Marrickville Library is an award winner!
The magnificent Marrickville Library has won a number of recent major architecture awards. Find more details and media coverage below.
The new Marrickville Library and Pavilion is now open and this stunning new library has to be seen.
The building integrates contemporary design and technology with the original, conserved heritage elements of the main hospital building. It is uncompromising with regards to sustainability, with recycled elements wherever possible and clever design features that reduce energy consumption.
Due to an increase in library shelving space over 20,000 new books will be added to the current collection taking the collection to 85,000 books. For the first time, there will be a robotic collection available to borrow.
The entire second floor is dedicated to Council’s historic art book collection that until now – due to space issues - has not been easily accessible to the public.
Australian Library Design Awards 2021
- Winner – Public Library Category
- Winner – Member’s Choice Award
National Architecture Awards 2020
- Joint Winner – The Sir Zelman Award for Public Architecture
- Winner – The David Oppenheim Award for Sustainable Architecture
National Trust – Heritage Awards 2020
- Winner – Adaptive Reuse
- Winner - Education and Interpretation
- Winner – Judges Choice Award
- Shortlisted – Public Architecture
Australian Institute of Architects (RAIA) NSW Chapter
-Architecture Awards 2020
- Winner -NSW Premier’s Prize
- Winner - Milo Dunphy Award for Sustainable Architecture
- Winner - People’s Choice Award for Life
- Winner – Award for Public Architecture
- Winner – NSW Landscape Architecture Award for Civic Landscape
Timber Design Awards 2020
- Overall Winner
- Winner – Excellence in Timber Applications – Public Buildings
General media coverage
What people saying about our library:
Images and floorplans
Building stats at a glance
- 3,600m² of purpose-built library and event space spread over three storeys
- 1,200m² of landscaped outdoor garden and a 100m² children's playground
- Local coffee legends, Double Roasters café with indoor and outdoor seating areas
- 1,230+ linear metres of shelving for the library collection
- Six small study rooms ideal for group assignments or private study.
- The Pavilion is a large event room for hire with full conference facilities and full size catering kitchen
- Conferencing facilities and the latest technology designed for meetings and learning are available via 3 learning rooms
- 58 underground car parking spaces including 5 accessible spots and a loading dock
- Wi-Fi connectivity throughout the library
- Printing facilities
- 26 public computers, 6 of those complete with Adobe Suite
- A technology teaching area