The Recreation grants stream provides financial support to community sporting and recreation groups and non‐government community recreation organisations that offer recreation programs and services to residents in the Inner West.
The Recreation grants round is currently closed.
Recreation grants of up to $10,000 over the two years 2022/23, with a maximum of $5000 per year.
A list of successful applicants and their projects for earlier rounds, can be found on the Successful Recreation Grants page.
Grant guidelines 2022 (PDF 1.8MB)
The objectives of the Recreation Grants is to:
- Address and remove barriers to participation and engagement.
- Promote an active and healthy community.
- Increase and/or enhance regular and ongoing participation opportunities in sport, recreation or structured physical activity in a sustainable manner.
- Build the capacity of the organisation to enhance provision of sport and recreation services (e.g. provide training to develop the skills of volunteers).
To be eligible for funding, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen, resident or relevant visa holder aged over 18 years.
- Be a legally registered incorporated not-for-profit organisation. (Unincorporated groups must be auspiced by an incorporated not-for-profit organisation.)
- An organisation delivering sport and recreation services in the Inner West Council LGA.
- Address the grant stream objectives.
- Demonstrate your project is in the public interest and aligns with Council’s Community Strategic Plan, policies and regulations.
- Only submit one application per applicant each grant round.
Inner West Council does not fund:
- Recipients of Council's previous 2020 Recreation grants round.
- Applicants who have not acquitted outstanding grant projects funded by Inner West Council.
- Applicants who have outstanding debts of any kind to Inner West Council.
- NSW or Federal government departments.
- For-Profit Organisations and Sole Traders.
- Applicants who represent a school or tertiary institution.
- Projects that have commenced or already taken place. Council does not provide retrospective funding.
- Projects that duplicate existing services already provided in the Inner West Council area.
- Capital works, such as renovations to buildings.
- Financial assistance for interstate or overseas travel, or other costs where it could be perceived that the applicant would derive excessive personal benefits.
- Salaries of permanent employees who will be supervising or working on the project as part of their usual duties. Grants may fund additional staff to work specifically on the project.
- Ongoing operational expenditure such as fixed overheads and administrative costs.
- General donations to charities.
- Activities that could be perceived as benefitting political parties or associated groups.
- Activities that could be perceived as divisive within the community.
The following criteria will be considered in the process of assessing applications:
- Impact and quality of the project that contributes to Council’s Community Strategic Plan, Council’s Recreation Needs Study A Healthier Inner West (2018) and the Recreation grant objectives.
- Provide recreation benefits to communities in the Inner West.
- Ability to improve access, inclusion, diversity and participation in recreation activities with sustainable outcomes.
- Applicant’s capacity to deliver a well‐planned project, including applicant experience, skills and time.
- Realistic budget, including all sources of project income and quotes, where relevant.
Applicants are encouraged to speak with a Council grant officer before applying - please contact Matthew Baigent, Recreation Coordinator on 9392 5515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Council uses SmartyGrants administration software to manage its grants program. Applications must be submitted via the Inner West Council SmartyGrants webpage. Applications must meet the eligibility requirements and no late applications will be accepted. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
For grant enquiries please contact Matthew Baigent, Recreation Coordinator on 9392 5515 or email email@example.com.