Dividing fences

Fences between private properties

If your enquiry is about a fence between two private properties or your property and the road, and not between your land and Council land, then you will need to discuss it with your neighbour and find out if you need to obtain planning approval from Council. 

Many private fences can be constructed without planning approval and are referred to as exempt development.  Further information on what type of fences can be constructed as exempt development can be found on Council's web page under the section 'Are Approvals Required'.

If the fence is between your property and your neighbours, you will need to work out the location, cost and design of the fence with them.  This is covered by the Dividing Fences Act 1991.

If there is a dispute with your neighbor, you may wish to obtain advice from the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

If you need further assistance with this please contact Council's duty planner by calling Customer Service on 9392 5000.

Submit an enquiry – fences between private properties

Fences between private properties and parks, open spaces and sportsgrounds

The Dividing Fences Act 1991 does not apply to public authorities such as local councils with control over Crown land, public parks, reserves, and roads. Inner West Council does not contribute towards fencing where residential property adjoins open space, parkland or roads unless there are extenuating reasons for an exemption.

Submit an enquiry – parks, open spaces and sportsgrounds

Fences between private properties and Council owned or managed buildings

Submit an enquiry – Council owned or managed buildings

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful6.98% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful93.02% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 30 Sep 2019