Plastic Free July
This Plastic Free July, we want your ideas and tips on how you've reduced plastic use in your home.
Plastic Free July is a global initiative to reduce the use of single use plastics.
Making even minor changes can make a massive difference in reducing plastic waste.
Plastic Free July photo competition
Send a photo of yourself, a friend, family member or partner with a reusable solution to single use plastic in the home and add a brief explanation of your tip and trick.
The most creative entry will win a fresh seasonal produce box from Alfalfa House.
Submit your photo
How to go plastic free
Even small changes can help make a difference. Focus on simple swap and substitutes and any ideas you pick up along the way. And when you have to use plastic, always reuse or repurpose.
Council tips and tricks
- Shop at bulk food stores such as Alfalfa House Community Food Co-op in Newtown, Mad Wholefoods in Summer Hill, Village Wholefoods in Marrickville, Naked Foods in Newtown, The Source in Balmain and The Well Store in Rozelle sells bulk cleaning products.
- Avoid soft drink bottles by making your own with a soda maker/carbonator.
- Line your rubbish bin without a plastic bag. You can use paper or leftover cardboard to line your bin. Any food leftovers can be composted or placed into a sealed container and kept in the fridge until bin day.
Your tips and tricks
- Anna from Leichhardt "We have tried to eliminate plastic packaging in a lot of our cleaning products. We use soap nuts for our clothes washing, shampoo and conditioner bars and make our own dishwasher tablets and multipurpose cleaning spray."
- Jess from Balmain "I bought my kids a really good quality metal lunchbox each for school. We don't have to replace them each year as they can just continue to use them."
- Sophia from Summer Hill "Reusable nappies! They're hard work but we've saved many nappies from landfill!"
Inner West Council's Green Living Centre has planned the following workshops in July:
||Date & Time
|Youth Upcycling and Restyling
||Wednesday 6 July, 2.00pm to 4.00pm
|Youth Make Your Own Beeswax Wraps
|Thursday 14 July, 10.00am to 12.00pm
Find out more
Visit the official Plastic Free July website - Will you be part of Plastic Free July by choosing to refuse single-use plastics?
The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment recently published the New South Wales Plastics Action Plan