Inner West Council provides a fortnightly
collection service for garden organics (green-lid bin).
Houses and units can use the link below to request a 120L or 240L garden organics bin. Garden organics bins are included as part of the residential service.
Garden organics bins will be used to recycle food scraps when Council introduces a Food Organics, Garden Organics (FOGO) service to all households by September 2024.
Request a garden organics bin
Additional bins may be provided at no additional charge. You can request a bin by clicking on the button above or by calling our Customer Service Centre on 02 9392 5000.
What goes in my garden organics bin?
- Grass clippings
- Twigs and small branches
- Flowers and excess pruning material
What does not go in my garden organics bin?
- Plastic bags
- Soil or dirt
- Tree stumps
- Any food materials, including fruits and herbs
- Building materials
- Recycling materials
Visit the A-Z: What goes where? page for help on what to do with waste that cannot go into your bins.
Important collection information
- Ensure that bins are placed out fortnightly for collection. Check you collection day using our waste calendar.
- You can have large garden organics items recycled by booking a scheduled Council Clean-up.
- Be a good neighbour and bring in your bin - Bins left on the road or footpath can go missing, pose a risk to pedestrians and disrupt traffic.
- The maximum weight allowance for a 240 litre bin is 70kg.
- Make sure that the bin lid can be shut. Overflowing bins will not be collected. Please report damaged bins to Council for repair or replacement.
Branches and real Christmas trees
If you have tree branches or real Christmas tree that don't fit in the garden bin, you can cut them into 1 metre lengths and book a collection.
Reporting a lost or stolen bin?
Visit the Replacement bin page for details.
Don't know your collection day?
Visit the waste calendar page.