Neighbour's trees – pruning or removing

If you would like to remove a neighbour’s tree, you must obtain permission from the owner of the tree prior to a request being made to Council.

In the case of a strata titled property, consent of the body corporate must be obtained.

Once you have consent, you can apply to remove the tree.

Lodge a tree application


If your neighbour's trees are causing or likely to cause damage to your property, and your neighbour is uncooperative, you should seek advice from the Community Justice Centre or the Land and Environment Court.

Dangerous trees

Council has no legal ability to control tree planting on private property, except where this is associated with a condition of development approval or is causing an immediate danger.

The only exceptions are where Council determines a tree is causing an imminent danger or the tree is of a species listed as a priority weed, where Council may serve Orders in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 1993 or Biosecurity Act 2015, to ensure that the land or premises are kept in a safe condition and not giving rise to a biosecurity risk.

Dangerous, uprooted or dislodged trees are usually initially attended to in the first instance by NSW Fire and Rescue or the NSW State Emergency Service and subsequently reported to Council if clean up or removal Orders are required. 

If you become aware of a dangerous or unsafe tree you are encouraged to call Emergency Services, in the first instance, or Council in the case of a dead tree or a priority weed.  

Still have a tree question?

Lodge an enquiry using Council's online customer request management system.

Lodge an enquiry

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful14.63% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful85.37% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 16 Aug 2023