Registration and microchipping pets

All dog and cat owners must lifetime register their pets

In NSW dogs and cats must be registered by the time they reach 6 months of age. You must take two steps to lifetime register your pet: microchipping and registration. These two steps will help return your pet to you if it is lost, hurt or stolen.

Council recommends desexing of all companion animals. If your pet is desexed and you can provide proof, a reduced registration fee applies.

Lifetime registration fees

The once-only registration fees, as set by the Companion Animals Act 1998, are listed below. These fees are effective from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024.

Class of pet Fee
Dog desexed (by relevant age of 6 months)* $75
Dog desexed (by relevant age of 6 months + eligible pensioner)* $32
Dog desexed (purchased from an eligible Council pound/shelter or an approved rehoming organisation)** $0
Dog not desexed or desexed (after relevant age of 6 months)  $252
Dog not desexed (not recommended)# $75
Dog not desexed (not recommended + eligible pensioner)* $32
Dog not desexed (recognised breeder)~ $75
Dog (working) $0
Dog (service of the state) $0
Assistance animal^^ $0
Cat desexed or not desexed* $65
Cat desexed (eligible pensioner)* $32
Cat desexed (purchased from an eligible Council pound/shelter or an approved rehoming organisation)** $0
Cat not desexed (not recommended)# $65
Cat not desexed (not recommended + eligible pensioner)* $32
Cat not desexed (recognised breeder)~ $65
Late fee (if registration fee has not been paid within 28 days after the date on which the animal is required to be registered) $21

Annual permit fees 

Cat not desexed by 4 months of age  $92
Dangerous dog or restricted breed  $221
Permit late fee (if permit fee has not been paid within 28 days after the date on which the permit is due)  $21

Step 1: Microchip your pet

Vets, animal welfare organisations and other authorised people can microchip your cat or dog.

A microchip is about the size of a grain of rice and contains a unique 15 digit identification number that is quickly implanted under your pet's skin, between the shoulders. In the event a pet is lost or stolen, the microchip can be scanned when they are found.

The information on the microchip can be used to reunite lost pets with their owners so remember to keep your contact details up-to-date!

Step 2: Register your pet

There are two ways to register your pet:

Online through the NSW Pet Registry website

  1. To register your pet online, you must first create a profile on the NSW Pet Registry website. Visit, select "Register" and follow the on-screen instructions to create a profile.
  2. If you've already created a profile, go to, log in to your profile, and select "My Pets".
  3. Select "Pay Online Due" for the relevant pet.
  4. Check the details are correct, and select "Pay Now" to continue.
    Note: If your pet has been desexed but is appearing on the website as not being desexed, please contact Council for assistance.
  5. Follow the on screen instructions until your payment is finalised. A receipt will be shown on screen, where you can print it or request to receive a copy by email.
  6. For a detailed step-by-step guide to using the NSW Pet Registry website, see their user guide.

In person at any local council

When you register your pet in person you will need:

  • A certificate of microchipping or a letter from your vet
  • Proof of desexing from your vet or a statutory declaration; the Companion Animal Legislation encourages responsible pet ownership, part of which includes desexing your pet
  • Any documents which entitle you to a discount such as a pensioner concession card, veterans card, registered breeder membership card

A copy of the Lifetime Registration Application Form is available on this page

Annual permits from 1 July 2020

From 1 July 2020 the NSW Government will introduce annual permits for owners of non-desexed cats and dangerous and restricted dogs.

These changes have been created to improve health and wellbeing of pets and to encourage owners in better management of their pets.

Payment for annual permits can be made through the NSW Pet Registry website or through any local council.

Owners of non-desexed cats

Owners of cats that are not desexed by four months of age will be required to pay an $92 annual permit in addition to the once-off lifetime pet registration fee.

This will create a stronger incentive to desex cats, improve health and wellbeing of pets, lower demand on pounds, reduce euthanasia rates, and help to address concerns about feral, stray and roaming cats.

Exemptions will be in place for cats that are registered by 1 July 2020 and for cats kept for breeding purposes by members of recognised breeding bodies.

Owners of dangerous dogs and restricted dogs

Owners of dogs of a restricted breed or declared to be dangerous will be required to pay a $221 annual permit in addition to their once-off lifetime pet registration fee.

This will serve as a further disincentive to owning these dogs and encourage owners to better manage the behaviour of their animal.

For more information visit the Office of Local Government Website.


Selling or giving away a cat or dog? The rules have changed.

From 1 July 2019, people advertising kittens, cats, puppies or dogs for sale or to give away in NSW will need to include an identification number in advertisements. The identification number can be either:

  • a microchip number
  • a breeder identification number, OR
  • a rehoming organisation number.

The rules will apply to all advertisements, including those in newspapers, local posters, community notice boards and all forms of online advertising, including public advertisements on websites such as the Trading Post, Gumtree and social media sites.

For more information visit the Department of Primary Industries website.

For detailed information about microchipping  and registration visit the Office of Local Government website

* Proof of desexing MUST be provided at time of registration - proof may include:

  1. A letter, certificate or clear receipt from a vet, or
  2. A statutory declaration from the owner that the animal has been desexed

** Proof an animal was purchased from a Council pound/shelter or an approved rehoming organisation MUST include:

  1. A receipt of purchase/transfer containing the animal's microchip number or,
  2. The animal's record on the NSW Companion Animals Register (CAR) has been flagged as eligible for the discount, or
  3. The animal's certificate of identification is marked (on the 2nd page) with text notifying the animal's eligibility for the discount

An approved rehoming organisation includes Animal Welfare League, RSPCA, the Cat Protection Society or any other organisation that is designated as a rehoming organisation by the OLG under section 88B.

View the current list of approved rehoming organisations here.

# Proof a cat or dog is not recommended to be desexed MUST be provided in writing by a veterinary practitioner, specifying that:

  1. A cat or dog should not be desexed at any time of its life as it would constitute a serious health risk to the cat or dog, or
  2. A cat or dog should not be desexed until it reaches the age specified by the vet (up to 18 months of age). If the cat or dog is not desexed by the age specified by the vet, additional fees or penalties will apply

~ Proof of Recognised Breeder MUST include:

  1. Proof of current membership as a breeder member of a recognised breeder body defined under clause 3(1) of the Regulation; and
  2. Documentation verifying that the cat or dog is of a breed accepted by the recognised breeder body; and
  3. A signed statement by the member that the cat or dog is to be kept for breeding purposes

A recognised breeder body as of 30 June 2020 includes:

  1. Dogs NSW (Royal NSW Canine Council)
  2. NSW Cat Fanciers Association
  3. Australian National Cats Inc. (previously the Waratah State Cat Alliance)
  4. Master Dog Breeders and Associates
  5. Mini Foxie Club of Australia Inc.
  6. Cats NSW Incorporated

^^ Proof an animal is an assistance animal MUST include:

  1. A valid Assistance Animal Permit issued by Transport NSW, or
  2. A valid Assistance Animal accreditation issued by Australian Lions Hearing Dogs, or Guide Dogs Australia, or Mind Dogs Australia, or Vision Australia Seeing Eye Dogs, or
  3. A medical certificate stating the person ha a disability within the meaning of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, and
  4. A written report/assessment from an Australian training organisation recognised by Assistance Dogs International that the animal has been trained to alleviate the effect of the disability, and
  5. A written report/assessment from an Australian training organisation recognised by Assistance Dogs International that the animal has been trained to meet standards of hygiene and behaviour that are appropriate for an animal in a public place

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful34.43% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful65.57% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 27 Oct 2023