Change of address and ownership for pets

Change of ownership

When you purchase a companion animal or have been given a companion animal, ensure that the previous owner or breeder sends the local council a signed and completed Change of Owner/Details Form

If you sell or give away a companion animal, it is your responsibility as the 'old owner' to update the new owner's details on the Companion Animals Register at your local Council, otherwise penalties may apply.

Change of address or contact details

If your address changes please complete the Change of Owner/Details Form send to council by mail, email or in person.  Find details for your nearest Customer Service Centre details here.

If your beloved pet goes missing or is stolen we can use this information to reunite you with your furry friend.

You can also update your contact details on the NSW Pet Registry 

Forms can be found in the Forms and FAQs section of our website.

As an owner of an identified companion animal (whether or not it is registered) you must notify the Director-General under section 11(1) of the Companion Animals Act 1998,when any of the following happens:

(a) any change occurs in the registration information or identification information for the animal (14 days notice must be given after the change occurs),
(b) the making or revocation of a declaration by a court under Part 5 that the animal (being a dog) is dangerous (notification must be given within 7 days after the declaration is made or revoked),
(c) the animal dies (notification must be given within 28 days after the animal dies),
(d) the animal has been missing for more than 72 hours (notification must be given within 96 hours after the animal went missing),
(d1) the animal has been found after having been reported missing (notification must be given within 72 hours after the animal is found),
(e) any other event prescribed as a notifiable event by the regulations.

For further information on keeping your pet's details up-to-date visit the Office of Local Government website

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful0% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful100.00% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 23 May 2019