Sustainable Schools Network
Are you passionate about sustainability and the environment in your school? Join the Inner West Sustainable Schools Network (IWSSN).
The IWSSN is a forum for school sustainability leaders to connect,share skills and learning resources, find opportunities, and inspire ideas for growing individual and collective action.
The network is open to principals, teachers, specialists, P&Cs,volunteers and educators from all government and non-government schools,and all primary and high schools, in the Inner West Council area.
The IWSSN provides:
- Peer-to-peer learning among sustainability educators in the inner west
- Quarterly network meetings to connect, share skills and learning resources (see details below for next meeting)
- One hour Professional Learning accreditation for Department of Education teachers attending a network meeting
- A link between Council and schools
- Regular email updates connecting schools to environmental programs, local activities and upcoming funding opportunities
The network meets once a term at a different host school or organisation. The next IWSSN meeting is in Term 4, 2019 and will be hosted by Stanmore Public School:
When: Thursday, 14 November 2019, 4:00 – 6:00pm
Where: Stanmore Public School, 100 Cambridge St, Stanmore
At this meeting we will:
- See Stanmore's Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden program in action with their amazing veggie garden and school kitchen;
- Hear about the two habitat trees that are home to birds and microbats;
- Share tools, techniques and approaches for kitchen garden programs and habitat creation on school grounds;
- Round-table: share the projects we
are working on or any ideas we are developing;
- Wrap up and next
meeting host for 2020.
via email to Anne Abbott
at Inner West Council. Afternoon tea provided.
Note: Department of Education teachers can claim 1 hour PL by attending! Teachers must enrol 24 hours in advance through MyPL. The course is called Sustainability Network, code NR09055. Access the course in MyPL here.
Join the Network
Complete the Inner West Sustainable Schools Network online form to start receiving email updates and invitations to network meetings.
“It’s great to see what’s happening at other schools as far as sustainability and the environment goes - learning how other schools engage both teachers and students and how they incorporate sustainability into the curriculum.”
- Stephen Jackson, Stanmore Public School
Climate Justice Workshops for High Schools
In partnership with Inner West Council, Australian Youth Climate Coalition are offering high school students a free in-school Climate Justice and Solutions Workshop covering climate change, climate justice and how students can lead action on sustainability in their school.
The workshop is designed to spark students' interest in climate justice and solutions. Students will also learn about ways of taking action on climate change, such as the importance of building groups and how to engage decision makers to create change on a local, global and national level.
Students will be linked to www.switchedonschools.org.au
to run their own campaigns. The workshop also covers the Australian Curriculum’s Cross Curriculum Priority Sustainability and its organising ideas of systems (OI.3) world views (OI.4) and futures (OI.6, OI.7, OI.8, OI.9)
A typical 40-60 minute in-school Climate Justice Workshop consists of:
- A brief overview of climate science and solutions
- An overview of AYCC and our theory of change (with young people at the heart)
- An overview of climate justice
- An overview of what young people can do to take action on climate justice
The workshop can be delivered to a class over a period (or double) or in a presentation style to assembly or a year level group.
REGISTER: Best suited to students in years 9 and above. Free for Inner West high schools. Register for a workshop here.
For more information about the network, please contact Anne Abbott at firstname.lastname@example.org