Reporting pollution

Have you noticed a pollution problem? Have you already contacted the source of the problem, and still found no improvement?

This page provides contact details for reporting pollution issues. To allow us to help you, please note as many details of the incident as possible, including time, date, location, and vehicle number plates.

For major pollution incidents

If the incident presents an immediate threat to human health or property, such as toxic fumes or a large chemical spill, call 000 to report it immediately to emergency services. 

As first responders, Fire and Rescue NSW, the NSW Police and the NSW Ambulance Service are responsible for controlling and containing incidents.

For illegal dumping

If you notice illegal dumping of rubbish, help is available on our illegal dumping webpage.

For asbestos

If you have concerns about asbestos, help is available on our asbestos webpage.

For other pollution

Facilities and activities are regulated by various government bodies depending on size and type. 

The New South Wales Environment Protection Authority (NSW EPA) provides contact lists for various types of activities at the NSW EPA's Report Pollution webpage

Most facilities in the Inner West will be regulated by either the EPA (call 13 15 55) or Inner West Council (call 9392 5000). 

If you or your company cause pollution

Under NSW law, anyone engaged in an activity resulting in a pollution incident has a duty to report the incident.

Whoever occupies land where a pollution incident occurs must also report it. Failure to do so is an offence and carries a fine.

Contact either the NSW EPA or Inner West Council for more information, or find more information at the NSW EPA's Duty to Report webpage

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful25.00% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful75.00% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 30 Jul 2019