Spring photo call out
Photos: Pilar Angon and David Noble
To celebrate nature and biodiversity in Spring 2020, we are calling all Inner West nature photographers to tag and share native plant and animal photos in their backyard, balcony or local natural area on Instagram !
Enter your photos for a chance to win nursery vouchers, a native birds card game and some other fantastic prizes!
Make sure you read our terms and conditions to see how you can win.
Everyone can take part, but only Inner West Council residents are eligible for prizes.
Take some pics and hashtag them:
Other hash tags:
Photos: Stella Robison and Pilar Angon
This year you can choose to submit photos under the following categories
- Your backyard's native plants and animals (eg. native plants you may have like wattle, lilly pilly, bottle brush or native birds and frogs)
- Your local natural area's native plants and animals (eg. native trees or butterflies, blue tongue lizards or native parrots)
- Your actions to care for nature, make sure you include native plants and animals (eg. I have put a water bath in my backyard and I am getting wrens in the morning; I have stopped using pesticides and my daughter has noticed butterflies have been hanging around the garden; We enjoyed gardening together as a family in the backyard after getting some plants from the Marrickville community native plants nursery)
Terms and Conditions
1.1 Everyone is welcome to submit photos in the Spring photo call out but only Inner West Council residents, 18 years and over, are eligible to win prizes. Proof of residency will be required.
1.2 Pictures must feature animals, plants and natural areas in the Inner West Council area.
1.3 Participants can submit as many photos as they want per person, however only one photograph per person can be selected for a prize.
1.4 If your photo is identical to a photo submitted by someone else, both pictures will be ineligible for prizes.
1.5 Employees of Inner West Council will be able to participate but are not eligible to win any prizes.
1.6 Photos must be posted on Instagram during the competition period with the hashtag #innerwestwildlife2020 .
Other hashtags can be used such as #IWnatureforbackyards and #IWSpringCallOut2020 but these are optional.
2.1 The competition will run from 1 September to 30 November 2020. Only photos posted during this period will be considered for the Instagram competition.
3.1 This year you can choose to submit photos that fit under one of these categories:
- Your backyard’s native plants and animals
- Your local natural area’s native plants and animals
- Your actions to care for nature, include native plants and animals
4.1 The following prizes will be available:
- Nursery vouchers
- Book - Habitat: A practical guide to creating a wildlife-friendly Australian garden
- Kookaburra card game
- Insect Hotel
- Australian Museum FrogID items
5.1 No fees will apply
6.Selection of work and notification
6.1 Images will be selected by the Urban Ecology team who will notify participants via phone or email. The winners will be announced in the second week of December.
7.Size and format
7.1 Images must be submitted in digital form and shared in Instagram.
7.2 Images should be 1080 pixels x 566 pixels.
7.3 Landscape image in a 1.91 to 1 aspect ratio. Or 1080 X 1080 pixels.
8. Intellectual Property
8.1 Council respects intellectual property rights of the photographers submitting materials as part of this competition. By submitting your details, you agree to Inner West Council using your photo/s. The photo/s will maintain the property of the photographer and will be retained by Council on its electronic databases with the intention that it may be used on publicly available promotional material such as posters, Council’s website and social media channels.
Winning photos 2019