Spring photo call out
Images credit: Pilar Angon(left ) David Noble, Superb Fairy Wren (middle) Pilar Angon, Green Tree Frog, Ranoidea caerulea(right)
To celebrate nature and biodiversity during Spring 2020, we called on all Inner West nature photographers to tag and share native plant and animal photos in their backyard, balcony or local natural area on Instagram
Photos were tagged in Instagram using #innerwestwildlife2020, for a chance to win nursery vouchers, a native birds card game and some other fantastic prizes.
The winners are:
- Category: Your actions to care for nature.
- Photographer: luciana_family_day_care.
- Prize: Insect hotel
- Category: Your backyard / balcony.
- Photographer: artlessprotagonist.
- Prize: Book. Habitat: A practical guide to creating a wildlife-friendly Australian garden.
- Category: Your local natural areas.
- Photographer: artshores.
- Prize: Native nurseries voucher + birds poster
- Category: Special mention.
- Photographer: colinjlucas.
- Prize: Kookaburra card game + native nurseries voucher + birds poster
All the details and full terms and conditions of the competition can be found below.
Images credit: Stella Robison (left) and Pilar Angon (middle an dright)
This year you can choose to submit photos under the following categories
- Your backyard's native plants and animals (eg. native plants you may have like wattle, lilly pilly, bottle brush or native birds and frogs)
- Your local natural area's native plants and animals (eg. native trees or butterflies, blue tongue lizards or native parrots)
- Your actions to care for nature, make sure you include native plants and animals (eg. I have put a water bath in my backyard and I am getting wrens in the morning; I have stopped using pesticides and my daughter has noticed butterflies have been hanging around the garden; We enjoyed gardening together as a family in the backyard after getting some plants from the Marrickville community native plants nursery)
Terms and Conditions
Images credit: Pilar Angon
1.1 Everyone is welcome to submit photos in the Spring photo call out but only Inner West Council residents, 18 years and over, are eligible to win prizes. Proof of residency will be required.
1.2 Pictures must feature animals, plants and natural areas in the Inner West Council area.
1.3 Participants can submit as many photos as they want per person, however only one photograph per person can be selected for a prize.
1.4 If your photo is identical to a photo submitted by someone else, both pictures will be ineligible for prizes.
1.5 Employees of Inner West Council will be able to participate but are not eligible to win any prizes.
1.6 Photos must be posted on Instagram during the competition period with the hashtag #innerwestwildlife2020 .
Other hashtags can be used such as #IWnatureforbackyards and #IWSpringCallOut2020 but these are optional.
2.1 The competition will run from 1 September to 30 November 2020. Only photos posted during this period will be considered for the Instagram competition.
3.1 This year you can choose to submit photos that fit under one of these categories:
- Your backyard’s native plants and animals
- Your local natural area’s native plants and animals
- Your actions to care for nature, include native plants and animals
4.1 The following prizes will be available:
- Nursery vouchers
- Book - Habitat: A practical guide to creating a wildlife-friendly Australian garden
- Kookaburra card game
- Insect Hotel
- Australian Museum FrogID items
5.1 No fees will apply
6.Selection of work and notification
6.1 Images will be selected by the Urban Ecology team who will notify participants via phone or email. The winners will be announced in the second week of December.
7.Size and format
7.1 Images must be submitted in digital form and shared in Instagram.
7.2 Images should be 1080 pixels x 566 pixels.
7.3 Landscape image in a 1.91 to 1 aspect ratio. Or 1080 X 1080 pixels.
8. Intellectual Property
8.1 Council respects intellectual property rights of the photographers submitting materials as part of this competition. By submitting your details, you agree to Inner West Council using your photo/s. The photo/s will maintain the property of the photographer and will be retained by Council on its electronic databases with the intention that it may be used on publicly available promotional material such as posters, Council’s website and social media channels.
Winning photos 2019