Solar My School
Solar my School is a free Council initiative helping primary and secondary schools to go solar.
Council will run the Solar my School program through its newly established Office of Renewable Energy Innovation as another initiative to help the Inner West reach its target of being a zero emissions community.
Register your interest in getting support through Solar my School now
How it works
Solar my School makes it easy to install solar at your school.
Schools are great sites for solar, with large roof spaces and high daytime energy consumption. By going solar your school will save money and the environment and support students to learn about clean, locally produced renewable energy.
The program offers independent and expert advice and support from start to finish including:
- Free solar feasibility report
- Assistance getting funding
- Support and guidance with the installation process
- Curriculum-linked teachers' guides on solar
- Promotional and communications resources
Inner West Solar my School participants
Council is currently working with the following schools, who have completed solar feasibility reports and are either progressing to solar installation or awaiting grant funding announcements.
- Kegworth Public School
- Marrickville High School
- Marrickville Public School
- Orange Grove Public School
- Rozelle Public School
- Sydney Secondary College Leichhardt Campus
- Annandale North Public School
- Ashfield Public School
- Balmain Public School
- Casimir Secondary College
- Dobroyd Pt Public School
- Dulwich Hill Public School
- Dulwich High School of Visual Arts & Design
- Ferncourt Public School
- Nicholson St Public School
- Stanmore Public School
- Summer Hill Public School
- Wilkins Public School
- St Brigid's Catholic Primary, Marrickville
- St Pius Catholic Primary, Enmore
- St Joan of Arc Catholic Primary, Haberfield
- St Vincent's Catholic Primary, Ashfield
To find out more about how this program works and its successes so far, download the program flyer (PDF 273.9KB) or visit the Solar my School website.
How it came about
In 2018, students from the Sydney Student Leaders Coalition approached Council to ask for help in delivering solar power to local schools. At a similar time Council was investigating ways we could implement the Council's vision of becoming a zero emissions community. As a result, through the Solar my School program, Council is now providing support to local primary and secondary schools to install solar on their buildings.
Solar my School was jointly founded by Randwick, Waverley and Woollahra Councils in 2016, and now is licensed to other Councils including Inner West to support schools in their area.