Useful links

Covid 19 Resources for Seniors

National Coronavirus Health Information Line - 1800 020 080

The National COVID 19 – Older Persons Information Line (older people and carers) 1800 171 866 

Ageing and Disability Helpline - 1800 628 221

National Dementia Helpline - 1800 100 500

Relationships Australia, Time to Talk 

Justice Connect, Not for Profit Law

Older Persons Advocacy Network, Welfare check - 1800 237 981

ACON - Information for older people

Seniors Rights Service -  1800 424 079 

Carers Australia Gateway - 1800 422 737 

Council of the Ageing ( COTA Australia) 1300 268 228

Australian Department of Health - What you need to know about COVID - 19

COVID 19 - Tips for Vulnerable people (PDF 59.1KB)

Fact Sheet for Older Australians on COVID 19

NSW Health - Fact sheets and brochures also in a range of languages

Local help

Newtown Neighbourhood Centre - and COVID 19 Information Sheet 

Rozelle Neighbourhood Centre including  Peninsula Caring to respond to locals impacted by COVID-19 and working alongside government and local charities

Addison Road Community Centre - Food pantry

Ask Izzy - Ask Izzy can help you to find the services you need, now and nearby. It is free and anonymous, and you can search over 360,000 services to find housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice, addiction treatment and a whole lot more. If you’re on the Telstra mobile network, you can access Ask Izzy even if you don’t have credit.


Volunteering with your community is a great way to build longlasting friendships, grow your skills and engage in a range of wonderful programs. Irregardless of your skills and experience, there's always an opportunity to connect with fellow community members and make a positive difference to your life, and the lives of others.

We welcome you to make a positive difference in your life and the lives of others through various volunteering opportunities.

Council of the Ageing

COTA has a role to promote, improve and protect the wellbeing of older people in Australia as citizens and consumers. It seeks to be recognised by government, the general community and media as representing, advocating for and serving all older Australians.

You can subscribe to news on their website:

Elder abuse

June 15 marks the annual, internationally recognised World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD).

The Inner West Council is part of a collaborative of service providers to raise awareness of this important issue. Inner West Council supports seniors to be active and connected in the community.

Staying active and connected can reduce social isolation, a risk factor for elder abuse. Anyone with concerns about abuse can call the NSW Elder Abuse Helpline and Resource Unit on 1800 628 221. Anyone can make the call.

Energy helpline: 1300 339 915

The Energy and Water Ombudsman has lots of information such as fact sheets and information about help paying bills.

The Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW (EWON) is the government-approved dispute resolution scheme for New South Wales electricity and gas customers, and some water customers.

Make a free call on 1800 246 545.

Food services

Visit the My Aged Care Website or call 1800 200 422.

Handyperson and gardening service

Inner West Council also offers a Gardening and Handyperson Service to assist older residents and younger people with a disability with basic gardening, lawn mowing and small handyperson jobs.

The service is available to residents who receive the aged or disability pension,who reside in the Balmain and Leichhardt wards.

For more information:
02 9367 9354

My Aged Care

The My Aged Care website has been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system.

The Gateway is part of the Australian Government's changes to the aged care system which have been designed to give people more choice, more control and easier access to a full range of aged care services.

Visit the My Aged Care Website or call 1800 200 422.

NSW Ageing Strategy

One of the priorities of the NSW Government is to promote opportunities for older people to lead active and rewarding lives, reflecting the opportunities and challenges of an ageing population.

You can read more about the NSW Ageing Strategy 2016-2020 and the five priorities that older people across NSW have said are important to them:

1. Health and wellbeing

2. Working and retiring

3. Housing choices

4. Getting around

5. Inclusive communities.

Tech Savvy Seniors

Be Connected is a free Australian Government initiative helping you to get the most out of going on line. To learn more and find your local partner call 1300 795 897 or go to

Australian Seniors Computer Clubs Association (ASCCA) is the peak for seniors and technology. To find a Seniors computer course  use their locator: Visit the ASCCA website.

Inner West Council and other Council's nearby can also link you to programs as well offering  classes such as Cyber Seniors with local schools - see the activities for seniors page on this website.

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful100.00% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful0% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 10 Jul 2020