Community Centres, Hubs, Aquatics, Parks, Sport and Recreation
Community Centres and Hubs
Inner west community centres provide activities, events and services for older adults living in the inner west.
Other key local hubs
- OWN (Older Women's Network) Newtown run The Newtown Wellness Centre offering a diverse range of activities built around wellness, friendships and community. The group’s activities are conducted in the hall which is surrounded by a community garden. Activities include; Feldenkrais, Drumming, Ukulele, Creative Writing, Tai Chi, Board Games, Crafternoon, Card Games and Social Gatherings. For more information click here.
- Addison Rd Community Centre: Home to more than 20 community organisations and artists, galleries, a theatre, radio station, park, organic gardens and Sunday market. For more information click here. Address: 142 Addison Rd, Marrickville
- Social outings and support: There are many local services that provide social groups, outings and support if you are over 65 and want to register. Phone My aged care on 1800 200 422
- University of the Third Age (U3A): Informal daytime education for anyone no longer working fulltime, presented by members. Click here or phone 9252 2033.
- ACON: Offers support, companionship and advice for older members of the LGBTI community (50+). Click here for more information or phone 9206 2000.
- Probus Marrickville: Click here for more information. Call to find out meeting times. Phone: 9590 3618. Address: 12–14 Seaview Street, Dulwich Hill
- Haberfield Ladies Probus: Meets 3rd Friday of the month from 10am–12pm. Phone: 9713 6689 Address: St. David Church, 51 Dalhousie Street, Haberfield
- Ashfield Probus: Providing fun and friendship for those retired or semi-retired in nearby localities. General Meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of each month at 10:00am. 1st Floor Club Ashfield (adjacent to Ashfield Station). 1-11 Charlotte St, Ashfield, NSW 2131. Or click here to email the club.
- National Seniors: Social meetings and various information
- The Village Project: An online library, full of positive news, created by our community. Tired of reading the same old news and feeling overwhelmed by what’s happening in the world? Or perhaps you’ve come across an article or video that’s helped or inspired you, that you would like to share with others. Each time you share a piece of info with us you are helping to create a library of resources that will empower us to learn and grow together, as a community. Click here to access the hub.
- Active Inner West: A one stop shop for all aquatic, sport and recreation activities run by or in partnership with Inner West Council.
- Agency Cohousing and Community: creates a practical support network of people based around the inner west, who want to live safely and well at home, stay connected thorough activities as they age.
To see what the IWC libraries have to offer click here.
The Inner West has a range of seniors programming at its aquatic and leisure centres, both in the pool and gym. Click here for more information.
For the full programming and information you can visit the site here.
Parks, Sport and Recreation
There is so much to enjoy or get involved with in the inner west. Now more than ever we are enjoying picnics in the parks. For more information visit the parks and recreation site here.
Other local government councils
Sydney City Council Community Centres
Ron Williams Community Centre
5-11 Kepos St Redfern
Ph: 9265 9180
Community Worker: Bilingual Mandarin/Cantonese
Subscribe to the newsletter here: https://confirmsubscription.com/h/j/330F7E12430E945A
Cliff Noble Community Centre
24 Suttor St, Alexandria
Ph: 9265 9116
Community Worker: Maria Sanna
Subscribe to newsletter here: https://confirmsubscription.com/h/j/8C76E874DDF341EF
Reginald Murphy Community Centre
19 Greenknowe Ave, Potts Point
Ph: 9265 9133
Community Worker: Bishop Laryea
Subscribe to newsletter here: https://confirmsubscription.com/h/j/B6990BA7933F416D
St Helens Community Centre
184 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe
Ph: 9265 9179
Community Worker: Amber Figura
Subscribe to the newsletter here: https://confirmsubscription.com/h/j/3A0A628DA5DC1FA4
Ultimo Community Centre
40 William Henry St, Ultimo
Ph: 9298 3103
Community Worker: Winnie Koit – Bilingual Cantonese and Mandarin
Subscribe to newsletter here: https://confirmsubscription.com/h/j/E2ED7856A93A1963