Family Day Care
Inner West Council’s Family Day Care services provide education and care programs for children aged 6 weeks to 12 years of age within the homes of qualified and trained educators.
What does Family Day Care provide?
Family Day Care provides the following:
- Educators who are screened, trained, supported and mentored by the Family Day Care Coordination Unit staff. Staff undertake regular visits to the Educators' homes to ensure the highest quality of education and care possible.
- Programs and practices based on Early Years Learning Framework and Education and Care Service National Law and Regulations.
- Small groups of no more than four children under school age allowing close relationships and bonds with the Educator and other children.
- One Educator who is with children from drop off until pick up allowing close relationships and regular and effective communication with families.
- Regular Play sessions that children attend with their Educator, where they are supported to play and learn as part of a larger group of children.
- Excursions that include visits to the local library and story time, local parks and community gardens.
- A safe and secure environment that is checked daily by the Educator and by Family Day Care staff on home visits.
- Opportunities to learn through play and exploration in indoor and outdoor environments.
Inner West Council has two approved Family Day Care services, Leichhardt Family Day Care and Marrickville Family Day Care . There are registered educators in Ashfield, Balmain, Clemton Park, Croydon Park, Dulwich Hill, Earlwood, Five Dock, Forest Lodge, Haberfield, Lilyfield, Leichhardt, Marrickville, Petersham, Rozelle, Stanmore, St Peters and Sydenham.
Leichhardt Family Day Care
Family Day Care Coordination Unit
22 Foster Street, Leichhardt NSW 2040
Service Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
02 9569 1233
Marrickville Family Day Care
Family Day Care Coordination Unit
Ground Floor Petersham Town Hall, 107 Crystal St Petersham
Service email: email@example.com
02 9335 2235
Fees vary as they are set by the educator according to their qualifications, experience, environments and other services provided.
Families will receive a copy of their individual educator’s fee schedule and payment requirements at the time of interview with the educator.
Leichhardt Family Day Care and Marrickville Family Day Care are both approved services and eligible to provide Childcare Subsidy.
Waiting lists and enrolments
To enrol in a Family Day Care simply follow these steps:
1. Join the waiting list for Family Day Care
- Marrickville Family Day Care and Leichhardt Family Day Care Waiting List – complete the online registration form - Online Waitlist Application Form.
- A $25 application fee applies .
2. Placement officers at the Family Day Care Coordination Unit will review your request for care and match your needs to available educators.
3. If a position is available you will be emailed an Offer Of Placement.
4. If you accept the offer an enrolment fee will apply.
5. If positions are not available, your name remains on the waiting list. We will contact you as soon as a position becomes available.
6. You will receive emails on a regular basis to update your waiting list.
Become an educator
Enjoy working with children? Want to make a difference in children’s lives? Want to provide quality care and learning experiences from your own home? Family Day Care could be your career of choice!
To become a Family Day Care Educator you must:
- Have a passion for providing quality early childhood education and care
- Enjoy working with children and supporting their learning
- Hold a Certificate III in Children's Services, or be willing to obtain
- Be willing to continue professional development through regular training
- Have a sound knowledge of child development
- Have experience working with children
- Have a current Workcover approved First Aid Certificate
- Have an interest in operating your own business
Some of the benefits of becoming a Family Day Care Educator include:
- Earning an income from your own home
- Choosing the days you would like to work to provide a work life balance
- Networking with other Educators within the Inner West through regular meetings, training sessions and Playsessions
- Ongoing support from highly qualified and experienced professionals from the Coordination Unit through home visits, phone support, ongoing professional training and regular Playsessions
- Implementing your own ideas and philosophy with the children and families in your care
- Developing strong relationships with children and families in your care
For further information about how to become a Family Day Care Educator please contact Marrickville Family Day Care on 9335 2235 and Leichhardt Family Day Care on 9569 1233
Family Day Care Play sessions provide opportunities for children, Educators and families from the local community to come together in a social situation that is facilitated by an Educational Leader.
The aim of Playsession is to build relationships between children and Educators in an engaging learning environment.
Leichhardt Family Day Care Playsession
Open to Educators and the community.
Days: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday during school term
Time: 9:30am – 11:30am
Cost: $5 per family
Venue: Leichhardt Family Day Care, 22 Foster St, Leichhardt.
Marrickville Family Day Care Playsession
Open to Educators.
Days: Tuesday & Thursday during school term
Time: 9:30am – 11:30am
Cost: Free to Educators
Venue: Enmore Resource Centre, Cnr Enmore Rd and Victoria Rd, Enmore.