Food waste recycling service
If you live in a unit block that shares garbage bins in the former Leichhardt Council area (i.e. Annandale, Balmain, Birchgrove, Lilyfield, Leichhardt and Rozelle), your unit block can swap one or more garbage bins for food waste bins (maroon lid).
Council provides free kitchen bench top bins and compostable bag packs to make food waste recycling easy.
What do I need to get started?
Step one: Setup the food waste system in your unit block
- Check to see if your unit block has a shared garbage bin room or bin bay and if a food waste bin is already available. Talk with your body corporate/strata or building manager or others in your unit block about how to use the food waste recycling service, and whether there are kitchen bench top bins or bags available at the unit complex.
- If your unit block already has a food waste bin and can provide you with a kitchen bench top bin and bags, you are ready to start recycling your food. Read the food waste recycling guide to get started.
- If you require a kitchen bench top bin and bags, go to step two to order.
- If your unit block shares garbage bins but does not yet have a food waste bin, please contact your body corporate/strata or building manager. Let them know you would like the complex to have a mobile food waste recycling bin, and ask them to contact Council's Resource Recovery and Waste Management Officer on 9392 5227 to discuss options for your complex.
Step two: Setup your food waste collection in the kitchen
- Once the food waste bin is in place you can start collecting your food. Order your free kitchen benchtop bin or a compostable bags, contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 02 9392 5000 or order online.
- Council delivers compostable bag packs every quarter throughout the year to each unit to make sure you are not running out of bags. Please note that the bins and bags belong to the unit, and should be left on the premises if you leave so that incoming residents can start food waste recycling when they move in.
Step three: Get started
Read our step-by-step food waste recycling guide to start recycling your food waste.
YOUR SAY INNER WEST
Your Say Inner West website
The community engagement hub where you can get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.
CONNECT WITH US
SERVICES IN YOUR AREA
Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: