WestConnex Stage 1 M4 East - Ashfield, Haberfield
Stage one of WestConnex includes:
- Widening the M4 Motorway:
The motorway will be widened from three to four lanes in each direction between Parramatta and Homebush.
- M4 Tunnel:
The M4 will be extended with underground tunnels from Concord, exiting at Haberfield.
What is Council doing?
- Lobbying SMC to provide a full catalogue of heritage items from demolished properties and details of how they will be conserved, stored and made available for the community.
- Working to find better areas for the storage of spoilage, and better routes for heavy vehicles removing the spoilage so as to reduce their impact on local streets.
- Pushing for the relocation of signage currently proposed for the front of Ashfield Park.
- Successfully lobbying against placement of a temporary telecommunications tower in Ashfield Park.
- Demanding consultation on the management of pedestrian and vehicle safety during any temporary closure of the Bland Street Bridge.
- Continuing negotiations with the State Government to increase compensation for both permanent acquisitions and lease of Council land for the project.
All Sydney road tunnels have management plans that involve 24-hour-a-day monitoring of tunnel air quality to ensure they are complying with independent pre-determined guidelines for in-tunnel air quality.
Under the Conditions of Approval for the M4 East:
- Local (ambient) air quality will be monitored for at least 12 months before the tunnel opens to traffic and for at least two years after opening;
- Air quality inside the road tunnels will be monitored to ensure strict standards are met;
- Monitoring results are publicly available and independently audited;
- Air quality monitoring monthly summary reports for the M4 East project corridor can be viewed on the WestConnex AQCCC website (more on that below) and
- Live air quality data for all the M4 East monitoring stations can also be viewed WestConnex real-time air quality monitoring website
In 2017, Sydney Motorway Corporation (SMC) established the Air Quality Community Consultative Committee (AQCCC) for the M4 East (Stage 1) project. The AQCCC is made up on representatives from the proponent, tunnel operator, councils and community members. For further information on the M4 East AQCCC including terms of reference and minutes of meetings and monthly ambient air quality and weather monitoring reports, refer to the WestConnex AQCCC website.
The WestConnex page contains links to key documents about Stage one. We have included those links here for the information of our residents.
Every effort is made to keep this list up to date. However, you may like to check the WestConnex main webpage