Local environmental plans (LEP)
On 23 June 2020, Council endorsed the planning proposal to facilitate the draft Inner West Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2020 to consolidate the provisions of the three former Council LEPs into a single new LEP that operates across the Inner West Local Government Area. Further details of the draft Inner West LEP 2020 can be viewed below.
A local environmental plan (LEP) is a legal document that provides controls and guidelines for development in an area. It determines what can be built, where it can be built, and what activities can occur on land.
LEPs contain both a written instrument and maps. These should be viewed together to provide an understanding of zoning and building controls across the area or for a particular property.
LEPs are supplemented by development control plans (DCPs), which provide more detailed planning controls for the corresponding area.
The following LEPs apply to development within the Inner West Council area:
Ashfield LEP 2013
The current Ashfield LEP 2013 applies to the following suburbs:
- Croydon Park
- Hurlstone Park
- Summer Hill
Leichhardt LEP 2013
The current Leichhardt LEP 2013 applies to the following suburbs:
- Balmain East
- Camperdown (north of Parramatta Road)
Areas subject to other planning instruments
- Leichhardt LEP 2000 still applies to the Balmain Leagues Club site. The Balmain Leagues Club site was deferred from the Leichhardt LEP 2013 by the Department of Planning and Infrastructure until such time as the current project application is finalised.
- Callan Park (Special Provisions) Act 2002 No 139 applies to the Callan Park site (located between Balmain Road, Iron Cove, Manning and Glover Streets).
- Sydney Regional Environmental Plan No. 26 – City West (state environmental planning policy) applies to area of Sydney Ports and Roads and Maritime Services lands in the vicinity of White Bay, Glebe Island, Rozelle Bay and the Railway Marshalling Yards.
Marrickville LEP 2011
The current Marrickville LEP 2011 applies to the following suburbs:
- Camperdown (south of Parramatta Road)
- Dulwich Hill
- St Peters
Draft Inner West Local Environmental Plan 2020
Council currently has three principal LEPs that apply to development within the area. The draft Inner West Local Environmental Plan 2020 (draft Inner West LEP 2020) will consolidate these LEPs into one document. Having a unified LEP for planning and development in the Inner West will:
- Simplify the planning process
- Provide consistency by aligning land uses and controls
- Provide a framework for a more comprehensive LEP and Development Control Plan (DCP) to be developed in the near future
The exhibition period for the draft Inner West LEP 2020 has now closed. The draft has been approved by Council and was submitted to the State Government (Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE)) for finalisation at the end of June 2020. The draft is currently with DPIE for finalisation.
Find out more and view the draft Inner West LEP 2020 on the Inner West's new consolidated planning framework webpage accessed here.
Find which LEP applies to your property
If you are unsure which LEP your property is located, please use the Department of Planning & Environment's Planning Portal search tool to search for your property. The relevant Local Environmental Plan will be listed under the "legislation information" heading.