Small Bars

On the 9 November 2018 Leichhardt LEP 2013 was amended to make opening a small bar in the Inner West a lot easier.

The legislative changes only apply to the area covered by the Leichhardt Local Environmental Plan, at this stage, which covers the former Leichhardt Council area.  It allows for existing restaurants and café’s to change to a small bar by obtaining a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) which can be issued by either a Private Certifier or Inner West Council Building Certifiers in as little as 10 days.

Some limitations include:

  •  Land must be in Zone B2 Local Centre.
  • The development is subject to a condition that the new use must be in accordance with the conditions of development consent applying to the old use that relate to hours of operation, noise, car parking, loading, vehicular movement, traffic generation, waste management and landscaping.

 To find out the zoning of your property

 A copy of a Development consent that relates to the property may be available on Councils DA Tracking section of the web page.  If a copy is not available on the web page, then you may wish to lodge a request for information through Council via the following link Access to Information Request

Some useful links & information to assist:

Inner West Council Building Certifiers            Ph: 02 9392 5679 or 02 9392 5781


                                                                                                      Frequently Asked Questions

Small Bar licences

Service NSW Concierge service

Guide for establishing and managing Night Time Economy uses

If change to conditions (ie hours of operation, noise, parking, etc) are required, a Development Application will be required


Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 17 May 2021