Dulwich Hill Station Precinct Public Domain Improvements Project
Wardell Rd between Ewart St and Wilga Avenue Dulwich Hill
The Inner West Council has been funded to upgrade the Public Domain near the Dulwich Hill Station. The objective of the project is to reverse the current urban decay and deliver liveable communities and neighbourhood by providing a cohesive design surrounding the Dulwich Hill Station.
The project will deliver, a high quality multi-use corridor that will maximise connections to public transportation and improve the amenities available for use to the public.
The proposed improvement program can be categorised into 5 main tasks:
- Streetscape upgrades including tree planting, multi-purpose lighting, new pavements and improved pedestrian and cyclist movements.
- Environmental sustainability using LED lighting, and providing shading and street trees.
- Creation of new plaza. Connection to the Greenway.
- New walking and cycling links to key transportation nodes and open spaces. These will strategically connect local and regional transportation networks.
- Traffic Calming and the creation of a 40Km/hr High Pedestrian Zone.
- Concept design complete
- Detailed design complete
- Tender documents are complete, and tender closed 2 May 2022
- Underground electrical works design complete
- Street light design is complete
- Public Meeting and further consultation completed May/June 2022
- Waiting on TfNSW to approve traffic control signals at the corner of Wardell Road and Dudley Street
- Construction has commenced at:
- Ewart Street, Wardell Road to Ewart Lane and Murray Lane
- Intersection works at Wardell Road, corner Dudley Street (includes a raised threshold and TCS)
Timing of works
The Inner West Council continues to progress with the upgrade to the public domain within the Dulwich Hill Station precinct. We wrote to you in February 2023 providing a construction update noting a completion date of February 2023 which was subject to weather and third-party approvals.
Since this time, we have completed the majority of works north and south of the Station on Wardell Road, however we have experienced further issues with service works which has impacted the program. Ausgrid Works are complete north of station bridge (excl pole removal) All raised thresholds are completed. Architectural seating walls have been installed. Dudley Street Traffic Control Signal Works have commenced post final outage, and the underground infrastructure has been installed. Most planting and landscaping is complete.
In this regard, Ausgrid related network shutdowns scheduled for February and March were cancelled by them and have led to further time extensions to complete the underground power related works. The proposed shutdowns are now proposed for early July 2023.
We regrettably inform you that the works are now anticipated for completion for the end of July 2023, weather permitting and conditional on the completion of remaining services works.
We are working hard to complete the works which will deliver an enhanced public domain environment that will complement the upgrade of the Dulwich Hill Station and we appreciate your continued patience.
The remaining works are largely focused on the Wardell/Dudley intersection. Dudley St will be closed to traffic on the 26th April ’23 for one month.
The section of raised road at the intersection of Dudley Steet and Wardell Road will also commence on the 26th April 2023 and will be completed early in June 2023.
Traffic management will be adjusted to consider these works.
The new traffic control signals/pedestrian lights at the intersection of Wardell Road and Dudley Street and light pole related works to the intersection of Ewart Street and Wardell Road will completed by the end of June 2023 although not activated immediately, this will happen once the intersection works are completed.
Above ground utilities adjustments and removal of redundant timber electricity poles will occur in July.
Expected completion date
The project is funded by Inner West Council, Transport for NSW and the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
Progress photos - Dudley Street
Progress photos - Wardell Road
Last updated 11/11/21.
Concept Picture - Dulwich Hill Train station
Concept picture: Dulwich Hill train station at the Keith/Wardell Road Intersection
Concept diagram and plan