Celebrate our local area at Ashfield's Carnival of Cultures
Thursday, 7 February 2019
Enjoy a day of free, fun activities and entertainment for the whole family at Ashfield’s own community event, Carnival of Cultures on Sunday, 24 February, 10am-4pm at Ashfield Park.
The event celebrates the vibrant suburb of Ashfield and features cultural performances, delicious food and market stalls.
While Ashfield residents can enjoy the festivities right in their own backyard, all Inner West residents can take the opportunity to visit the busy, bustling, booming suburb.
Some of the acts to feature on the main and cultural stages include:
• Sydney Shaoxing Opera Troupe
• Andalus Arabic Choir, “Sydney’s best-kept music secret”, a unique multicultural group who share a love of Arabic Andalusian music
• DJ Rammy - Sydney Indian Bollywood DJ
• Vietnamese and English pop music from Dung & Dani, whose YouTube channel has gained an international following
• Inspire Bellydance: Dances of the Middle East
• Karate and modern Japanese dance from Japan Moves Japan Grooves
• Juventud Latina, who share the richness of Latin American culture through dance
• Virtuosic Gypsy world music fusion band Lolo Lovina
• Nadhamuni Gayatri Bharat, a unique classical vocalist with a wide repertoire and a proficient singer in many Indian languages
• Grooving Swahili guitar dance band, Paul Mbenna and the Okapi Guitar Band
• Pepa Molina Flamenco Dance Academy Performance Group
• Sydney Dance Rhythms performing Hip Hop, Ballet, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary and Latin Dances
Carnival-goers can feast on fare from China, India, Turkey, Argentina, Venezuela, Spain, Brazil, Italy, India and Africa – flavours from all over the world.
There will be free workshops and lots of activities for all ages, including in Origami and Chai tea making.
Use of public transport to the Carnival is encouraged. A free, accessible shuttle bus will run regularly from Ashfield Civic Centre to the event, and bicycle parking will also be available.
For more information go to www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/carnivalofcultures.
For a print quality image of a previous event, contact the Communication team.
Principal Sponsor: Canterbury Hurlstone Park RSL
For media enquiries, contact Elizabeth Heath | Media and Communications Coordinator
P: +61 2 9392 5334 | E: email@example.com