Long-awaited skate park closer to reality
Thursday, 15 November 2018
The long search for a suitable location for a new skate park, servicing the north of the local government area, could be over.
Inner West Council unanimously resolved at the Tuesday, 30 October Council Meeting to investigate the development of a skate park facility adjacent to Leichhardt Oval No.3, located on the Bay Run.
“Local young people have waited far too long for this skate park and by proceeding with another location, outside of the NSW Government’s control, we are finally going to make it happen,” Inner West Mayor Darcy Byrne said.
The search for a suitable location, dating back to 2011, had been centred on Callan Park, which is controlled by the NSW Government.
“Various locations within Callan Park have been given in-principle support only to be blocked or refused by the Government later,” Mayor Byrne said.
“Environment Minister Gabrielle Upton and the Government have messed around for years requiring us to pay for new plans at different locations within the park, despite the project being fully funded by Council,” Mayor Byrne said.
“Then, earlier this year, the Office of Environment and Heritage finally told us it would not support a skate facility in Callan Park at all.”
Council will now undertake community engagement on the development of a skate park facility adjacent to Leichhardt Oval No.3.
Skate Park Timeline
• November 2011: Council submits Callan Park Master Plan, including a provision for a Skate Park, to the State Government
• December 2011-2014: State Government refuses to act on Callan Park Master Plan
• December 2014: Council completes design plans for Callan Park Skate Park
• December 2015: Council given approval to lodge Development Application
• March 2016: Heritage Council refuses to support the Development Application
• January 2017: New site identified in Callan Park. Informal approval and support from OEH
• December 2017: Council receives confirmation that OEH will not support the new site
• February 2018: OEH informs Council it will not support a Skate Park in Callan Park
• October 2018: Council unanimously resolves to investigate the area adjacent to Leichhardt Oval on the Bay Run as a suitable location for a new skate park
For further information, please contact Elizabeth Heath | Media and Communications Coordinator
P: +61 2 9392 5334