Court sides with Council over Dulwich Hill Interim Heritage Order
Monday, 6 August 2018
Local residents have score a huge victory with the NSW Land and Environment Court dismissing an appeal against an Interim Heritage Order on 73 The Boulevarde, Dulwich Hill.
An appeal was lodged over the Interim Heritage Order that Inner West Council placed on the property earlier this year.
The six-month order prevented the demolition of the 1920s California style home, which the company wanted to turn into luxury apartments.
Inner West Council took out the Interim Heritage Order so it could carry out appropriate heritage assessments and make an informed decision on the long-term future of the property.
Councillor Mark Drury said he was made aware of the issue when he was approached by concerned locals who were worried a “nice old Dulwich Hill home” was about to be demolished.
“I was a bit surprised the building wasn’t already heritage listed, so I sought the advice of Council staff to see how we could protect it.
“I’d like to thank the local residents who raised the issue and the Council officers who worked on the case so that we can now have a proper look at the heritage significance of the property.
“We need to work out how to better protect the things we love about Dulwich Hill and I hope we can use the Local Environment Plan to do just that,” said Cr Drury.
Inner West Mayor Darcy Byrne welcomed the Court’s decision.
“This is huge win for Dulwich Hill. We need to send a message to developers that they can’t bulldoze their way through our communities and destroy the buildings that give the Inner West its unique character,” he said.
For further information, please contact John Roper on 0435 963 787.