Inner West Council will celebrate a magnificent upgrade to Camperdown Park with a free barbecue on Saturday, 29 September from 10am.
Entertainment on the day will include a ‘3 on 3’ demonstration game supported by The Sydney Kings, No 1 Draft Pick Basketball Academy and the Inner West Bulls Basketball Club on the refurbished basketball courts.
Inner West Mayor Darcy this was part of Council’s $65 million investment in parks, sports grounds and aquatic facilities over 2018-2021.
“This is the largest and most comprehensive funding commitment to support community sport and recreation in the history of our community,” he said.
“We are working to create a healthier community and aim to deliver first-class sport and recreation facilities for everyone in in the Inner West.”
“It’s very exciting to see this major project coming to completion, and I look forward to celebrating with the community.”
The complete upgrade of the park, worth $3.67 million, has included:
- Upgrading the sports field with new turf surface, irrigation, drainage, improving the standard and performance of the field for local sport, in particular cricket and rugby union
- New sports lighting which meets training and match play standards and controls ‘light spill’ to adjoining residences
- The old grandstand was demolished and replaced by a new amenities building with two accessible public toilets, sports change rooms, kiosk, storage and community function room
- New playground for younger and older children, and a ‘youth zone’ with removable art walls, outdoor table tennis tables and upgraded basketball courts
- New loop pathway and upgrade of all pathways and lighting
- New sportsfield picket fence
- New tree and garden plantings
- WWI memorial $36,000 restoration, part-funded by a NSW Community War Memorials Fund grant of $10,000
- Seating and picnic areas upgrade using a $600,000 Stronger Communities Fund grant
The latest works worth $675,000, are now complete. These involved concrete seating terraces and stairs, two picnic shelters, new park furniture, two barbecues, new stonework and repairs to existing stonework and landscaping including turf, garden bed and mature tree planting.
The Camperdown Park Master Plan, which began in March 2014, is now fully implemented.
Media should RSVP to the Communications team on (02) 9392 5334.