2018 Young Creative Awards announced
Monday 4 June, 2018
Local young talented illustrators and writers have won inaugural Inner West Library and History 2018 Young Creatives Awards.
The Young Creatives Awards night will be held at St Peters/Sydenham Library, on Tuesday, 19 June, from 4-6pm.
Media are invited to attend.
The two awards, Young Writer and Young Illustrator, were open to Inner West students and residents aged 12-18 years. Schools throughout the Inner West and beyond were invited to participate.
Using the vast Inner West Council library collection as a starting point, entrants were required to choose any work from the current collection as inspiration – whether a book, e-resource or an audio visual resource – and then given free rein in how they interpret their chosen work.
Writers were required to produce approximately 1,000 words based on their chosen work and illustrators were to provide four illustrations. They could submit reviews, continue the story, or choose a key point in the story on which to elaborate.
Illustrators were asked to draw key moments from a library resource such as a book or DVD.
The judges were drawn from experts in their creative fields. The winners will be presented with $500 cash prizes and the runners up $250.
At the awards ceremony, they will also have the opportunity to discuss their work.
- Young Writer Award 12-15 Winner ($500): Aoife Brazil, St Scholastica’s College
- Runner up ($250): Isabella Evangelista, Fort Street High School
- Young Writer Award 16-18 Winner ($500): Moss Johnston, Fort Street High School
- Runner up ($250): Niamh Brazil, SCEGGS Darlinghurst
- Young Illustrator Award 12-15 Winner ($500): James Lambert, Sydney Grammar School
- Runner up ($250): Leo Lorents, Sydney Secondary College Balmain Campus
- Young Illustrator Award 16-18 Winner ($500): Isabella Aguilar, Tempe High School
For more information, view You Creative Awards
For media inquiries, contact Brendan Berecry on 9392 5218