2017 Business Environment Awards
Wednesday 27 September 2017
Inner West Council’s Business Environment Awards (BEA) nominations are now open.
Last year, more than 20 inner west businesses were celebrated for their sustainable achievements and recognised for making positive contributions to the environment, in categories which included:
- Energy Smart – For energy efficiency of gas and electricity and renewable energe
- Water Saver – For water efficiency, rainwater tanks and water sensitive urban design
- Rethink Waste – For avoiding, reducing, reusing and recycling waste
- Beyond Our Four Walls – For influencing supply chains to achieve sustainable outcomes
- Community Leadership – For taking leadership on community and social issues
- Sustainable Innovation – For exploring new and creative solutions to sustainability opportunities
- Sustainability Leadership – For actions over a range of initiatives and taking a holistic view of sustainability.
Mayor of Inner West Council Darcy Byrne said what some inner west businesses were achieving was “phenomenal”.
“Last year’s winners in particular are making huge strides in making their businesses more green and sustainable,” he said. “I’m hoping this year we unearth even more environmental success stories.”
Last year’s nominees’ achievements include:
- 178 tonnes of waste diverted
- One creative space achieved a 90% reduction in water use
- One local business reduced its carbon emissions by 14 tonnes/year by installing LED lights and new air conditioning
- One local pub installed 80 solar panels
- Local organisations that are engaging young children in reuse education programs and supporting thousands of local households to fix and repurpose items
“As well as urging businesses to nominate themselves, we’d also like our inner west residents to let us know of any businesses that are working towards a more sustainable future,” Mayor Byrne said.
For more information or to nominate, go toBusiness Awards Nominations close Monday 30 October, 5pm.
For assistance with a nomination, contact Anne Abbott on 9392 5341 or firstname.lastname@example.org For print quality photos of last year’s Awards, contact the Communication Team.