Winners of the first Inner West Council Business Environment Awards
The environmental achievements of more than 20 inner west businesses will be celebrated at the first Inner West Council Business Environment Awards (BEA).
The BEA were held on Tuesday evening, the 29 November at the Inner West Council Petersham Service Centre.
The Administrator of Inner West Council Mr Richard Pearson said the new, larger council provided an opportunity to find new ways to support businesses on their sustainability journey.
“Some of what these businesses are achieving is phenomenal,” he said.
“One has designed a new system to wash their equipment which recycles water and recovers waste product to be used again.
“A hairdresser has implemented a recycling system that recovers and recycles almost 90% of their overall waste - including hair, metals, plastic, paper and chemicals.
“And a third – a commercial office – has upgraded lighting and air conditioning, and when their planned installation of solar panels goes ahead soon, these initiatives are estimated to save about 250 megawatt hours of electricity and prevent 265 tonnes of carbon emissions each year,” Mr Pearson said.
The award winners and finalists are:
For actions over a range of initiatives and taking a holistic view of sustainability
- Winner - The Bower Reuse and Repair Cooperative in Marrickville – for their valuable contribution to waste reduction, skills development and community collaboration. The bower continues to demonstrate continual improvement and looks beyond resource savings.
- Finalists - Black Star Pastry, My Stepping Stones in Leichhardt, Guardian Early Learning Group - Balmain Cove Early Learning Centre
For exploring new and creative solutions to sustainability opportunities
- Winner - Reverse Garbage in Marrickville - for their innovative educational project ‘Replay’. Providing waste education resources and workshops for educators, they have so far engaged with almost 9000 young children in the community, pushing for a shift towards better waste behaviour
- Finalists - MakerSpace & Co, The Icicycle Bicycle Co
For water efficiency, rainwater tanks and water sensitive urban design
- Winner -The Red Rattler Theatre in Marrickville. The theatre recently connected their three large rainwater tanks to flush six onsite toilets and most sinks as part of their on-going eco-plan
- Highly Commended - MakerSpace & Co
- Finalists - Marrickville Prestige Smash Repairs, Screenhaus, Glow Worm Bicycles
For avoiding, reducing, reusing and recycling waste
- Winner - Access Hair in Balmain and Summer Hill. The salons are part of the Sustainable Salons initiative, and are taking a sustainable approach in their product choice, and recycling 90% of their waste
- Finalists - Reverse Garbage, Black Star Pastry
For taking leadership on community and social issues
- Winner - The Trading Circle in Summer Hill for empowering women and their communities in developing countries. They also provide employment and skills development for young people from local schools.
- Highly Commended - Camperdown Commons with Pocket City Farms
- Finalists - The Bower Reuse and Repair Cooperative, Reverse Garbage, joiningthedots, Trolley’d, Roastville
For energy efficiency of gas and electricity and renewable energy
- Winner - CHOICE in Marrickville for installing LED lighting, upgrading their air-conditioner, and currently investigating solar panel installation
- Highly Commended - 3 Weeds Rozelle
- Finalists - Soul Pattison Chemist Summer Hill, Black Star Pastry
Beyond our Four Walls
For influencing supply chains for sustainable outcomes
- Winner - Batch Brewing Co in Marrickville for developing their strong relationship with NSW farmers, and sourcing their key ingredients locally
- Highly Commended - Upcycled Studio
- Finalists - Trolley’d, Home Industry
For an interview with an award winner, or a print quality image, contact the Communication team.
Local businesses can be supported by Inner West Council to be more sustainable. Contact Council’s Senior Environment officer on 9335 2061 or email email@example.com