Keep our kids safe – they're counting on you
With students returning to school, please be mindful of road safety around schools. School zones will be in operation from Friday 27 January until the end of term (6 April). Council parking officers are patrolling school zones to keep our children safe.
Some road safety tips to remember are:
- Park safely and legally around schools even if it means walking further to the school gate.
- "No parking" signage gives you 2 minutes to drop-off or pick-up. You must stay within 3 metres of your vehicle.
- Never double park – it puts children at risk.
- Bus zones are for buses only.
- Remember all parking signs near schools are planned with the safety of children in mind.
- Slow down to 40km/h near schools from 8.00am to 9.30am and from 2.30pm to 4.00pm on school days.
- Be hyper-aware and vigilant around crossings. Children can be unpredictable and difficult for drivers to see.
- Drivers must always give way to a pedestrian crossing the road.
- Watch the school crossing supervisor's directions.
- Ensure your child has the correct child car seat for their age and size and that it's fitted correctly.
- Remember to take care with U-turns and three-point turns. These are far more dangerous to complete when children are around.
Getting in and out of the car
- Make sure your children use the footpath side doors to get in and out of the car.
- Hold children's hands until they are at least 10 years old.
Be a role model
- Model safe and considerate behaviour for children – they will learn from you.
Tips for parents and carers in various community languages