Inner West Council provides a fortnightly kerbside collection service for recyclable waste. You may have different bins for recycling depending on your suburb.  

What goes in my recycling bins?

Bottles, containers and cans

  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Aluminium and steel cans
  • Empty aerosol cans
  • Plastic bottles and containers
  • All plastic takeaway containers (no food scraps)
  • Aluminium foil trays (no food scraps)
  • Aluminium foil (scrunched up into a fist-size ball)

Clean paper and cardboard

  • Newspaper, cardboard and paper
  • Milk and juice cartons
  • Pizza boxes (no food scraps)

What does not go in my recycling bins?

  • Plastic bags and other soft plastics
  • Polystyrene foam
  • Nappies, used or unused
  • CDs, DVDs and VCR tapes
  • Flower pots, including plastic ones
  • Photographs
  • Clothing
  • Mixed foil and plastic packaging, such as pringles containers
  • Ceramics, porcelain and broken glass
  • Light globes
  • Syringes and sharps
  • Medicines
  • Green waste
  • Mobile phones and electronic or computer parts
  • Plastic toys and kitchen storage containers
  • All waste that goes in the garbage bin 

Visit the A-Z: What goes where? page for help on what to do with waste that cannot go into your bins.

Recycling tips

  • Always put your items loose in the bin
  • Never put plastic bags – including biodegradable ones – in your yellow or blue bin, as they jam the machinery used to sort through the recycling materials
  • Ensure items have no leftover foods inside before placing them in the bin
  • Flatten cardboard boxes before they go in the blue bin.  

Recycling in your suburb 

You may have additional paper and food recycling bins depending on your suburb.  

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful31.25% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful68.75% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 18 Mar 2019