Construction waste (skip bins)
When you need to hire a waste container(skip) for construction/building waste it should be placed within your property's boundaries. If this cannot be achieved, you will need to obtain a Skip Bin User Permit from Council before you can place it on the road.
Council offers a streamlined service for the approval of Skip Bin User Permits, including a free period, if you choose your provider from one of the approved companies (see Conditions below)
Following are details of the permissible timeframes and associated charges.
||Total maximum period
||Fees for extension* (19/20)
|Non-metered parking area
|Metered parking area
* Council's adopted Fees & Charges can be found in the current fees and charges page.
Apply for a free skip permit
To qualify for the free permit, you must first arrange the hire of your skip bin from one of the approved companies listed below.
After arranging the skip bin hire, you need to apply for your permit using the Inner West Council customer request management system using the link below.
Apply for a free skip bin permit
The permit will be emailed to you on the same day or within 24 hours. You will need to able to produce this email upon request.
Unless you extend the permit, the skip bin will need to have been removed by the end of the free period or you will risk enforcement action.
How to extend the permit
If you are aware from the start that you will need the skip bin for longer than the free period, you should go straight to applying for the permit extension using Council's online self-service.
If you decide to extend the permit during the free period, you should apply for the permit extension at least two (2) business days before the end of the free period, again using Council's online self-service using the link below.
To extend the permit using the online self-service, you will first need to complete a skip bin permit extension application form and attach the completed and signed form during lodgement.
Go to online self-service
Summary of conditions for placement of skip bins on public land.
The following conditions are set out to prevent injury or damage to any persons or property. Failure to comply with these conditions could mean immediate removal of the bin at your expense and/or the issue of on-the-spot fines.
- Skip bins may only be placed by persons, or Companies, holding a current Skip Bin Provider Licence. License holders are listed in the next section below.
- The maximum dimensions of a skip bin are 5m X 1.8 m (Length x width).
- Skip bins must be placed immediately in front of the property of the Skip Bin User. The skip bin must not be placed beyond the Skip Bin User's property frontage, unless the prior written consent of the adjacent property owner has been obtained.
- The skip bin must be positioned to comply with all restrictions of the Australian Road Rules as if they were a motor vehicle.
- Only one (1) skip bin may occupy the road reserve at any time at any property frontage.
- A Skip Bin User Permit must be obtained from Council before any bin is placed upon Council's roadway.
- It is an offence to stand a bin upon any footpath or carriageway without approval.
- The Skip Bin Provider must accept liability for any damage caused to the road, gutter, grass verge, footpath or any injury sustained by any person during the delivery, occupation and removal of the bin,
- Council reserves the right to order the removal of any bin or the termination of any activity associated with it, which causes a nuisance or creates a danger. Upon receipt of such order, the applicant shall comply immediately.
- The Skip Bin User Permit holder must agree to observe any special conditions that are imposed by Council in relation to this application.
- The Skip Bin User Permit holder must agree to bear responsibility for the removal of any waste deposited in or around the bin.
- The Skip Bin User Permit holder must also agree to indemnity the council against any clean-up costs that may be incurred and acknowledge that the said costs may be recovered by the council as a debt.
- Food waste, dangerous or hazardous water shall not be placed in any bin.
- The suspension of parking meter rate is per day, per parking bay.
- For a more comprehensive list of conditions, please read the application forms for Extension of Skip Bin User Permit and Skip Bin Provider Licence.
Approved companies – current as of November 2019
Exceptions to the above requirements
If you would like to hire a skip bin from a Company not on the approved Providers list and/or note in full compliance with the above conditions, such as:
- A skip bin larger than the maximum dimensions;
- Placing more than one skip bin at one location;
- Placing skip bins for more than three (3) weeks in a non-metered parking area; or
- Placing skip bins for more than ten (10) days in a metered parking area.
You will be required to lodge an Application for Road Footpath and carpark Occupancy using Council's online self-service.
To apply for this permit using the online self-service, you will first need to complete an Application for Road Footpath Carpark Occupancy Permit and attach the completed an signed form and all mandatory documents during lodgement.
Go to online self-service
Join the skip bin provider list
If you are a company seeking to join the list please complete the form below.
An application fee is payable, together with a refundable deposit (first year only).
The licence extends from October to September and must be renewed annually to remain on the list.
If your company is already on the list, Council will contact you in September/October to initiate renewal of the licence.
Conditions for the Skip Bin Provider Licence are detailed on the application form.