Newtown ArtSeat - Information for applicants
Back to the Newtown ArtSeat page
Inner West Council aims to deliver visual art to the Inner West community in an innovative and contemporary way. The Newtown ArtSeat (NAS) provides a space where local, emerging and established artists and cultural workers, can showcase their artwork in a highly visible location in front of the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre at 1 Bedford Street Newtown NSW 2042.
The Newtown ArtSeat can be used to display experimental work, collaborative work, font and/or text based artwork, folk art, photography, curated exhibitions, installations, sculpture and community arts. Also suitable to display poetry, writing, multi-media, socio-historical material, new technology and/or any other form of art or cultural expression suitable to the existing structure.
1.Application Information – Exhibition Guidelines
1.1Exhibition termThere will be a minimum of three exhibitions displayed over a 12 month period starting on Wednesday, 5 February 2020.
1.2 EligibilityTo be eligible to apply, applicants must be over 18 years of age and have the necessary skills and capacity to deliver their project.The Newtown ArtSeat will be curated to include at least one work per year by artists living or working in the Inner West Council local government area.Projects that have received funding from other sources will be considered.
2. Terms and conditions
2.1 The Inner West Council will:
- Provide each successful applicant with a letter of offer that will outline exhibition dates, terms and conditions and responsibilities of all parties
- Make available the Newtown ArtSeat display unit in a clean condition
- Maintain the lights in the display unit so that they are in good working order
- Be responsible for the printing of the image to the required dimensions
- Be responsible for the installation of the image
- Promote the installation on the Council website
2.2 Successful applicants will:
- Consult with the delegated Council Officer concerning the selection of ideas, subjects, concepts and themes
- Consultation can be face to face, meetings, telephone conversations and/or email
- Provide an Artist/s statement for the purposes of marketing and as an historical record of the project
3. Selection process
3.1 The Panel
The selection panel will consist of at least one of each of the following – artists, curators and Council staff.
3.2 Selection criteria
Priority will be given to quality, contemporary proposals. Exhibitions and/or displays with thematic directions that examine topical and local issues will be favorably considered.
Submissions should demonstrate artistic merit, skill, innovation and capacity to enhance the public space.
A link to local community events is encouraged. Some of the events that have cultural significance to the local community are - Inner West EDGE, Art Month Sydney, Inner West Open Studio Trail, Open Inner West, Mardi Gras, Sydney Fringe Festival, NAIDOC and Head-On.
NOTE: The Newtown ArtSeat is not to be used for the display of advertisements
How to apply and closing date
Please read the information above before submitting your application. If you have any questions or you are unable to complete the application form online please contact Anthia Hart on 9392 5866 or email Anthia.email@example.com
Applications close: 5pm Friday, 11 October 2020
Apply online Newtown ArtSeat