Access to Information

In 2009, the Information Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) introduced new requirements for information access of government agencies to ensure greater public accessibility to information.

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (the GIPA Act) replaces the Freedom of Information Act 1989 and section 12 of the Local Government Act 1993 in NSW.

For a better understanding of your right to information you can access the Information and Privacy Commission NSW website

For further information refer to Council’s Public Access to Information Policy (PDF 223.1KB) and lnner West Council Agency Information Guide (PDF 938.1KB)

How can I access information?

Information held by Council can be accessed in the following ways:

Council’s Agency Information Guide provides more on accessing Council information. Read the Inner West Council Agency Information Guide (PDF 938.1KB) here.

Mandatory Disclosure (Open Access Information)

Under section 18 of the GIPA Act certain information is prescribed that must be made available free of charge on Councils website, this includes:

  • Policy documents
  • Disclosure Log of formal access applications
  • Agency Information Guide
  • Government Contracts Register
  • Record of open access information that is not made available to the public on the basis of an overriding public interest against disclosure

Information about Council can also be found in the lnner West Council Agency Information Guide (PDF 938.1KB)

Proactive Release

Council can make information available to the public free of charge on its website if there is an overriding public interest to do so. This is in addition to the Mandatory Release information. Information for inclusion under proactive release is reviewed annually.

Information for Proactive Release is detailed in lnner West Council Agency Information Guide (PDF 938.1KB)

Some of this information is available on our website free of charge and some information is available in other formats for a small charge.

Refer to Council’s Fees and Charges.

Informal Release

You should make an Informal Request for information if after reviewing Council's website you are still not able to find the information you are looking for.

An informal access application form can be found under the Application forms heading of this page.

Council may impose conditions on the release of such information. There is no charge for making an informal request for information.

Refer to lnner West Council Agency Information Guide (PDF 938.1KB) for the type of information that is available for informal release.

Formal Release

You should make a Formal Access application if you can’t access the requested information through the other three ways listed above.

The GIPA Act states that members of the public have a right to access information unless there are overriding public interest considerations in favour of non-disclosure of the information.

Examples of where a Formal Access Application is necessary include:

  • When searching for and retrieving the information sought would require a diversion of resources and time
  • Where the information sought involves details of third parties who must be consulted.

There is a $30 application fee for a formal access application and a processing charge of $30 per hour. The application fee counts towards the first hour of processing. Refer to Council’s Fees and Charges 2017/18

Processing time for a Formal Access Application is 20 days with possible extension.

A formal access application form under the Application forms heading of this page.

Application forms

Please select your suburb from the list below to access the appropriate form:

Inner West Council – Leichhardt

Unsure how to get the information you want?

Step 1: Search the relevant website (using the search box at the top of the page) to see if the information is already available:

Step 2: Check the Inner West Council Agency InformationGuide (PDF 938.1KB) to see if it is open access information. The Agency InformationGuide will tell you how to obtain the information.

Step 3: If the information is not routinely available(i.e. not open access information) you need to make an Informal Access Information request or a Formal Access application.

Copying of Documents

Legal copyright provisions apply to the copying of all documents atInner West Council. Due to the Copyright Act 1968, there may bedocuments which may not be copied, without consent of the copyrightowner. Some of these documents could include certain building plans,publications and consultant's reports.

Copying charges may apply if documents are available. Fees and charges are outlined in Council's Fees andCharges

Processing of your application

Provide sufficient detail so that the correct information can beidentified and your request can be processed as quickly as possible.

Disclosure Log

The GIPA Act requires Council to keep and publish a record (called its"disclosure log") that records information about access applicationsmade to Council to which it provides access (to some or all of theinformation applied for) if the information is deemed by the agency tobe of interest to other members of the public.  You can find the Disclosure logs for the former Council's below:

Disclosure Log - Former Ashfield Service Centre (PDF 40.1KB)
Disclosure Log - Marrickville Service Centre (PDF 429.4KB)
Disclosure Log - Leichhardt Service Centre - No information currently available

Other Useful links

For further information please contact the Information and Privacy Commission NSW

Privacy Notification

Application forms and/or names and addresses of people making an application is information that is publicly available.

The supply of information is voluntary. If you do not provide alldetails requested, Council may be unable to process your application.

The details you provide are stored at Council Offices and are not madepublicly available unless there is an overriding public interest to doso under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act)and in accordance with section 18(1)(b) of the Privacy and PersonalInformation Protection Act 1998 (NSW).

For more information about yourprivacy please email Inner West Council

Internal Ombudsman

Find information on the Internal Ombudsman here



Your Say Inner West website
The community engagement hub where you can get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.





Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: