Transurban missing in action
Friday 08 December 2023
Inner West Mayor, Darcy Byrne has today called on Transurban to end their deafening silence on the traffic fiasco at the Rozelle Interchange and start contributing to solutions.
Transurban are the owners and operators of the Rozelle Interchange and WestConnex yet have been stubbornly silent during the traffic chaos that has followed the opening of the Interchange.
Challenging them to become part of the solution, Mayor Darcy Byrne said, “It’s time for Transurban to stop hiding in the shadows and front up to the people of the Inner West about why this fiasco has happened. They must transparently release their traffic data as a first-step act of good faith.
“It’s not good enough for Transurban to make billions of dollars from the project and then run and hide from their responsibilities.
“For too long this project has been shrouded in secrecy and our calls for transparency have been ignored. The result is the traffic tsunami that our local residents are enduring every morning.
“I’m calling on Transurban to front up and become a part of the solution to this real and immediate problem instead of just collecting the tolls on their tunnels to a traffic jam.”
At last night’s public meeting, convened by Mayor Byrne, there was agreement amongst local citizens to propose immediate actions, including:
- Immediate, real-time disclosure of the traffic data and travel times for Victoria Road, the City West Link and the ANZAC Bridge
- A review of the lane configurations on Victoria Road and the City West Link
- Funding for public domain improvements and traffic infrastructure on Victoria Road that was left out of the Budget by the previous Government to be made available
- Improve signal phasing to relieve traffic congestion on the Balmain peninsula and surrounding suburbs
- Improved messaging and communication for commuters accessing the Interchange
- Changes to signage and lane marking to make it easier for drivers to use the Interchange
- Review of merge distances to ensure they are optimised for maintaining traffic flow
Mayor Byrne continued, “Last night our community came together to express their boiling frustration and demand solutions to the Rozelle Interchange fiasco.
“After years of being ignored by Transurban and Transport for NSW we won’t be sidelined any longer. We look forward to finally receiving the traffic data that we’ve been requesting from them for years.”
For media enquiries please contact Jonny Browne, Jonny.Browne@innerwest.nsw.gov.au