EDGE Balmain: 21 to 24 November
Monday, 11 November 2019
EDGE Balmain will shine a spotlight on Darling Street and Balmain Road with performance, installations, creative trails and a special emphasis on live music.
EDGE Balmain is on Thursday, 21-Sunday, 24 November.
“Here in the People’s Republic of the Inner West, we have more arts workers in creative industries than in any other region in Australia,” said Inner West Mayor Darcy Byrne.
“Our goal is to the be the national capital of independent arts and culture. That’s what EDGE is all about.
“So far EDGE has spotlit the GreenWay and Sydenham and Newtown – these amazing eco-systems of creative businesses and we are determined to protect these spaces and create new ones.
“I’ve loved the previous EDGE activations, but as you can imagine, as a live music advocate and supporter, and a Balmain boy through-and-through, I’m particularly looking forward to EDGE Balmain,” Mayor Byrne said.
Everyone’s invited to take part in EDGE Balmain at these events:
EDGE Balmain Launch, Thursday, 21 November, 6.30-8pm, Balmain Town Hall, featuring:
• Composer Andree Greenwell’s ‘Voice Crossings’
• Local physical theatre performers 'Strings Attached’
• Council artist-in-residence Sarah Harvie’s illuminated installations
• Balmain Glass(Light)House by Stephen Burstow audio visual storytelling
Persian Coffee House, Saturday, 23 and Sunday, 24 November, Community Refugee Welcome Centre, Wharf Road, Callan Park:
A multimedia, multi-sensory art, sound and performance installation – a collaboration between The Refugee Art Project, The Community Refugee Welcome Centre and Third Space. ‘Ghahve Khune’ recreates a traditional coffee house with poetry, aromatic coffee and teas, sweet and spicy delicacies, decorative arts, contemporary and classical music and storytelling
EDGE Art installations, Thursday, 21-Sunday, 24 November, 8am-11pm, various locations, including:
• MY KIND CO Creative Collective- 'The Art of Play', corner Booth and Darling streets next to Gladstone Park
• Wishing Wings Community Project, various buildings in Rozelle and Balmain
• Illuminated installations, Balmain Town Hall
• Balmain Glass(Light)House, audio visual storytelling
Creative Trails Balmain, Saturday, 23 and Sunday, 24 November, 10am-5pm, various locations
Tours by bus, bicycle or foot to local studios, galleries and artist run initiatives - meet local artists, buy direct from the source, learn new skills and enjoy artist talks.
Live music, including:
• The Screaming Jets, Friday, 22 November, Bridge Hotel, Victoria Road, Rozelle
• Rebekka Neville ‘Five Star Caravan’, Saturday, 23 November, 12pm–3pm, Gary Owen Hotel, Balmain Road
• Classic at Callan Park, 5pm-8pm. String members of The Metropolitan Orchestra play crowd favourites at this outdoor classical music event held as the sun sets
• The Mountain Devils, Sunday, 24 November, Royal Oak Hotel, College Street Balmain, 12pm-3pm
• Peter MacDonough Trio, Sunday, 24 November, Cricketers Arms Hotel, Darling Street, Balmain, 1pm-3pm
• Shannon O'Connor, Sunday, 24 November, The Exchange Hotel, Beattie Street, Balmain 12pm-3pm
• Jazz in the Park, Sunday, 24 November, Gladstone Park, Darling Street, Balmain, 3pm-6pm. An afternoon of Jazz including headline Emma Pask
EDGE Balmain also features a full day of programming on Saturday, 23 November at Rozelle Neighbourhood Centre and on Sunday, 24 November on Darling Stree, Balmain.
For all details, go to www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/EDGE
EDGE Balmain comes after the highly successful EDGE GreenWay, EDGE Sydenham, EDGE Ashfield and EDGE Newtown. EDGE showcases cutting edge creatives and supports artists to not only survive but thrive.
For print quality images of previous EDGE activations, contact the Communication team.
For media enquiries, contact Elizabeth Heath | Media and Communications Coordinator P: +61 2 9392 5334 | E: Elizabeth.Heath@innerwest.nsw.gov.au