Council approves state-of-the-art Aquatic Centre
The inner west will get a new first class Aquatic Centre, with Council finalising plans for the rebuilding of Ashfield Pool. The Centre will boast extra state-of-the-art facilities that will last for generations.
The final plans now include a 1000 square meter gym, spa, steam and sauna facilities.
And in an exciting development, a new world class ‘floating floor’ for the outdoor pool will mean that the water level can be adjusted, making it the perfect venue for everything from water polo to Learn to Swim and Aqua Aerobics lessons.
Inner West Mayor Darcy Byrne said the community preferred plan for the new centre provides an exciting contemporary mix of facilities to meet a range of community needs now and into the future.
“This is the most significant infrastructure project in both size and scope for the inner west,” he said.
“While the costs have obviously increased, our extensive consultation with the community showed 75% strong support for this option, making it a clear winner.
“Rather than funnelling funds into a short-term strategy to patch up the dilapidated centre, which is in desperate need of an overhaul, Council has decided to future-proof the complex.
“It will provide a fantastic community asset, which will be enjoyed by local people for generations to come,” he said.
The final plan for the redevelopment of the Ashfield Aquatic Centre includes:
• A new 50m indoor pool with accessible ramp and split boom.
• A new outdoor pool with floating floor that can change its depth, opening it up for a wide range of uses.
• A new children’s leisure pool with landscaping and green wall.
• A new two storey entry building with cafe, change areas, crèche, staff facilities and retail space.
• A new 1000sqm gym on Level 2 of the entry building.
• New sauna, steam and spa attached to the existing pool hall building.
• A community green space and covered seating.
• Landscaping areas and terraces for the external pools.
• Increased parking spaces.