Volunteering with your community is a great way to build long lasting friendships, grow your skills and engage in a range of wonderful programs. Regardless of your skills and experience, there's always an opportunity to connect with fellow community members and make a positive difference to your life, and the lives of others.
We welcome you to make a positive difference in your life and the lives of others through various volunteering opportunities.
Useful links for volunteering
STARS (Skills Training and Resource Centre)
Inner West Council Partners can help you find the right volunteer role.
STARS assists people to find voluntary positions which meet their skills, interests and availability. They offer
- Information about Volunteering
- Referrals to volunteer vacancies with registered not for profit service providers
- Training for volunteers
- Events which bring volunteers together
- The types of volunteer positions available include
- Delivering meals for a frail aged person or someone with a disability
- Being a companion for someone with a mental illness
- Assisting families with young children
- Tutoring assistance in Home Work help programs
- Home visiting and social support for an aged person
- Working as part of a team to convert gardens to low maintenance and making them easier to manage for the frail aged and people with disabilities
- Teaching english or providing settlement support for a migrant or refugee
- Helping to rescue or care for animals
- Driving a mini bus for seniors outings
- Providing social support in small or large group settings for frail aged people
- Working with the Emergency services
- Office or reception work with a Community Organisation
- Environmental or conservation work
- Delivering meals or assisting in their preparation for Day Centre or Meals on Wheels Services for frail aged residents
- Assisting a frail aged person with their shopping
For more information:
Contact the STARS Recruitment Officer make an appointment to discuss current volunteer vacancies. Appointments can be made at Marrickville Library and Leichhardt Library or at a time or venue that fits in with your schedule, for example in a coffee shop, community centre or other public space.
02 9750 9344
Visit the Stars Volunteering webpage.
Volunteering roles that have direct contact with children will need a Working with Children Check clearance obtained for free. Apply for a Working with Children check on the NSW Service website.