Hiring a venue FAQs

Venue FAQs


Can I view the venue before booking?

Yes, your Venue Booking Officer can arrange one viewing of the venue before applying to hire.

Venue amenities

What equipment or amenities are included in the hire?

Most of Council’s venues are offered under 'Dry Hire' conditions. This means only the hall or room and tables and chairs. Exceptions include premium venues such as Haberfield Centre and Marrickville Pavilion which provide additional audio-visual equipment. Please see the corresponding venue page for more details.

What size are the tables?

The tables are approximately 90x180cm, but we recommend visiting the venue to inspect the facilities prior to your event should specific measurements be required.


Is there parking available?

Most of Council’s venues are street parking only. See the specific venue webpage for more information.


Suppliers and contractors

Can we have contractors such as catering?

Yes, please provide their Public Liability Insurance certificate and Working with Children clearance if interacting with children e.g. for a children's party.

What can I bring?

Can I have candles, fireworks or a smoke machine?

Unfortunately these items are prohibited. Incidents that cause the smoke alarm to go off will be liable to a fire brigade callout fee – charges incurred for Fire Brigade attendance due activity by hirer, a minimum of $1,600.00.

Can we decorate?  Can we decorate the night before?

Yes you can decorate but the hire time must include all decorating and cleaning time. Please add additional time to your booking for this if required.

Can I have a jumping castle?

Jumping castles are not permitted inside our venues.

Can we bring animals?

Animals are not permitted unless they are assistance or guide dogs.

What can we do?

Is alcohol permitted?

Yes. The hirer must nominate an attendee that holds a Responsible Service of Alcohol Certification (RSA) to be responsible for the service of alcohol.
The sale of alcohol must be done under the appropriate liquor licence. Please provide these documents to Council as part of your booking.

Is smoking outside permitted?

A 4-metre distance must be maintained from entrance of venue. Smoking is not permitted inside Council venues.

Are there noise restrictions?

Most venues require amplified music and announcements to conclude by 11pm sharp.
Amplified music at Marrickville or Petersham Town Hall is to cease at by 10pm from Sunday to Thursday, and by midnight on Friday and Saturday nights.
Noise emanating from the premises must be at a level that would give no cause for complaint from residents of the area and must comply with the Noise Control Act and Regulations. 


Is there a bond?

All hirers are required to pay a refundable bond and key deposit as listed in the relevant schedule of fees and charges.
Bonds will be refunded upon the premises being left in a satisfactory condition as determined by Council Officers and after the key for the venue is returned to the Centre from which it was collected.
Costs associated with not meeting conditions of hire and/or additional conditions of hire may be deducted from your refundable bond prior to refunding.
The bond will be refunded to the credit card on file when paying with VISA, Mastercard or American Express. If you have paid by BPAY, a copy of your bank statement is required to refund the bond back into this account.

When is the booking confirmed?

Once the booking is paid for.

When does the booking fee need to be paid?

Payment is required fourteen (14) days prior to the event to secure the booking.

What types of payment do you accept?

Once your booking has been accepted by a Booking Officer you will be contacted to pay by invoice. Invoices can be paid online via BPAY and credit card. Should you wish to pay in cash this may be done at one of our service centres. (link to Service Centre info)

Contracts and Legal

How far in advance do I need to book?

Bookings need to be made at least 7 days in advance. Bookings will not be accepted within seven days of an event.

What are the terms and conditions of hire?

  • Bookings will not be accepted within seven (7) days of a proposed event date.
  • You must be 18 years+ to book a Council community venue.
  • You must include the time required for set up, pack up, and cleaning within your booked hire time.
  • Bookings will not be confirmed until full payment of fees is made and all hirers are required to pay a refundable bond.
  • You must attach a COVID-19 safety plan for your event to your booking request. Create one here on the NSW Government website.
  • If engaging the services of contractor to conduct activities and or provide catering you must provide all necessary clearances, certificates, insurances and permits pertaining to the services provided, such as RSA certificates, food safety certificates, public liability insurance, working with children checks, police event notifications, etc.
  • You must leave the premises in a clean and tidy condition.
  • Smoking, pyrotechnics, open flames/fire pits or use of any smoke generating machines is prohibited in Council Venues or on Council grounds. If the fire alarm is activated unnecessarily for any reason you will be liable for the fine issued by the NSW Fire Brigade.
  • Community Venues for hire are unstaffed venues, in the event of an emergency, call 000 for the police, ambulance or fire brigade. For access and maintenance issues, contact Inner West Council's After Hours Service on 02 9392 5000.
  • In the event that there is a breach of the Conditions of Hire, you may be subject to damages including cancellation of the booking.

What insurance requirements are needed?

Commercial, for-profit events and all regular hirers must be covered for Public Liability Insurance (PLI) through their own resources and provide a copy of the current policy indicating a minimum cover of $20 million dollars.
Casual hirers not providing their own PLI, will be covered under Council’s insurance, however any claim is subject to the current excess fee of $2,000 to be paid by the hirer to Council.

What is the cancellation policy?

Cancellations - 14 days and greater prior to booking, 100% of hiring fee refunded.

Cancellations - Less than 14 days prior to booking, 0% of hiring fee refunded.

What documentation do I need to provide?

You will be advised by a Venues Booking Officer. One or more of the following may be required:

  • A COVID Safety Plan (or “CSP”).
  • Evidence of Public Liability Insurance (“PLI”) of DJs, children’s entertainers or for any person/organisation contracted to work at event.
  • Food safety supervisor/food handling certificate if caterers/commercial food operators serve food at event.
  • A Certificate of Currency showing PLI of minimum coverage $20 million (no less).
  • Evidence (confirmation email) of party registration with NSW Police for parties of persons over 16 years of age and for private events serving alcohol.
  • Liquor Licence (limited licence – single function or pop-up bars/events) for public and/or commercial events where alcohol is being sold.
  • Responsible Service of Alcohol (“RSA”) certificate(s) of server(s) for public and/or commercial events where alcohol is being sold or served without sale.
  • Receipt of security/crowd control service being contracted for birthday parties ages 16 through 21.
  • Photo ID for proof of age confirming that the hirer is legally an adult for Birthday Parties ages 16 through 21. 

Logistics and Organisation

When and where do I pick up the keys?

You can collect the key from the Centre advised to you by your Booking Officer. This will most likely be Leichhardt or Ashfield Service Centres on the Friday before your booking. (Link to Service Centre details).
The Hannaford and Annandale Community Centres will be in contact for collection directly from the venue.
The key must be returned to the same service centre or community centre that it was collected from on the Monday or Tuesday following completion of hire.

Do I need to clean the venue afterwards?

Yes, hirers must leave the premises in a clean and tidy condition.
All property of the hirer must be removed including decorations. Equipment and tables and chairs must be returned to the appropriate storage area, kitchen benches and sinks wiped clean and floors cleaned. Rubbish must be placed into the appropriate bins provided.
Please note, cleaning equipment is not provided.

What is included in the hire time?

Your hire time must include set-up, pack down, cleaning and sanitising. Should you have contractors bringing food or equipment this must also be done with in your allotted time.

Can I leave items in the venue to be collected later?

Items cannot be left in the venue once the period of hire is complete.

Who should I contact during my hire if there is an issue?

Call council on (02) 9392 5000 or Emergency Services on 000.

Book or enquire

Make a general enquiry about a venue

Need to speak to one of our team members? Phone: 02 9392 5000

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful0% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful0% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 08 Dec 2021