Free Use of Council Facilities for Same Sex Marriages

As a gesture of support and recognition for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning community, Inner West Council is proud to offer its facilities free of charge for same sex marriages.

Council will make its facilities – halls, community centres and parks – available free of hire fees for 100 days for any same-sex couples wishing to get married.

All facilities that are not already booked will be available.

Who can make use of this offer?

Any same sex couple wishing to marry in a Council Hall, Park or Community Centre. Preference will be given to couples residing in the inner west local government area.

Do any other fees still apply?

Yes, while Council will waive the hall hire fee, couples will still be responsible for payment of fees such as:

  • Security deposit
  • Waste charges
  • Cleaning fees
  • Any setup or special requirements

For information on Council’s halls, rooms and other venues, go to Council's Community Centres and Town Halls page.

For information on Council’s parks, go to Council's Parks and Playgrounds page

When can I use one of Council’s facilities?

Couples wishing to marry must provide notice of intended marriage to their authorised celebrant.

Generally, the marriage cannot be solemnised until after one calendar month from the date the authorised celebrant receives the Notice.

The notice of intention to marry cannot be lodged until after the same sex marriage legislation is enacted in parliament.

Therefore, Council facilities will be made available one month after successful legislation of same sex marriage.

For more information about getting married visit the Attorney General's website

When can I make a booking?

Council is committed to providing the most equitable and transparent process possible to allow everyone an equal opportunity.

As such, Council facilities will be available for booking the day following successful legislation of same sex marriage.

How can I make a booking?

Council's Venue Hire Forms have been updated to reflect the passing of the legislation.

Interested couples can lodge an application for free use of a council facility on the basis that the booking is for a Same Sex Marriage.

Please visit our Community Centres and Town Hall page and Parks page to see our venues. Forms are available on each page.


Your Say Inner West website
The community engagement hub where you can get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.





Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: